Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Ford Honey, its proven not to ruin your [censored] unlike redline.

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by Tourige:

Nothing has proven any thing nor has anyone. Your comment is utter tripe and sheer ignorance.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by DemonSVT:

Nothing has proven any thing nor has anyone. Your comment is utter tripe and sheer ignorance.

Yes, but neither you nor Warmonger run the redline anymore...yet you continue to defend it to the death...and if you go over to the 3000GT boards they call the stuff snake oil and run away from it. We are not the only platform out there to call the stuff poison.

If you are so adamant about disproving the whole MTL debate then run some in your car. Better yet, buy some and send it off to a lab along with some Ford Honey for a comparison. Until then I (and several others) are going to listen to the fella who has the lab results and has cracked more trannies than you!

Lastly why is he ignorant for listening to TH's take on the subject over yours?! Which is all this is really about...

Oh yeah and I hate to drag him into this, but Stazi immediately drained his MTL and put the Royal Purple in his tranny after terry posted the data...

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Oh boy here we go again

99 CSVT Green/Tan # 84 of 2760 Built on Wednesday, September 30, 1998 15.376 @ 92.00 MPH Stock 75,000Km 96 Contour GL 2.5L V6 ATX 170,000Km
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Use MTL at your own risks. Most the trannies I pulled due to failed components had stinking (literally) MTL in them, and they all were slathered on the inside with black goop.

RP Synchromax or Ford Spec "Honey" is the way to go.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
I see we are on a roll again!. I guess I can't understand how just swapping out lubes from brand X to brand Y is any form of structured testing. Residue from previous lubes will be in the trans and this type of 'try it and see' evaluation flies in the face of any real world engineering or lab testing of a lube. Any evaluation must be carried out on test rigs set up to the Ford spec or a series of clean 'virgin' built transmissions which after the testing would be stripped, measured etc.Having a poll is not not much better. You can't 'vote in' a specific lube...this again is not logical engineering practice for evaluating a product or a components performance, wear, operating life etc. I have no idea where these guys have had practical engineering experience in product testing etc but it appears that it was picked up off the back of a corn flake packet....for sure it was not in an engineering establishment. Using lab tests for content of lube and wear checks during and after testing on the components in question is the only scientific way to get correct answers. The input I had from friends in Transmission Engineering in Ford Germany,the trib lab in Germany,info from Quaife UK and many other peers in my circle of engineers tells me that some of the brand X lubes are not up to the standard Ford has set...simple as that.This debate on lube has become more like the 'can't tell it from butter' ads.....very 'shadetree'.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
A poll with out Royal purple... Real smart

New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
I would have put Royal Purple in the poll but I had no idea people were using it. I am a newbie and from what I have read in the FAQ, how-to's, and recent posts I didn't know people were using it...

I do have some questions though...in the how-to it says dont use a GL-5 rated gear lube. A lot of lubes people are using are rated GL-5 or higher are they not? Correct me if I am wrong. And the mobil 1 I understood to be mobil 1 synthetic automatic tranny fluid. But I see there is also a mobil 1 synthetic gear lube. Which is it that people use? Thanks.

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoShoĆ¢ā??Ā¢:
Originally posted by DemonSVT:

Yes, but neither you nor Warmonger run the redline anymore...yet you continue to defend it to the death...and if you go over to the 3000GT boards they call the stuff snake oil and run away from it. We are not the only platform out there to call the stuff poison.

If you are so adamant about disproving the whole MTL debate then run some in your car. Better yet, buy some and send it off to a lab along with some Ford Honey for a comparison. Until then I (and several others) are going to listen to the fella who has the lab results and has cracked more trannies than you!

Lastly why is he ignorant for listening to TH's take on the subject over yours?! Which is all this is really about...

Oh yeah and I hate to drag him into this, but Stazi immediately drained his MTL and put the Royal Purple in his tranny after terry posted the data...

I think the point is that although this subject is DEBATEABLE, there has not been proof presented that is conclusive enough for everyone involved to believe it.
It's kinda like someone eating at a restaurant, going home and getting sick later that night. Probably more than half will claim it was food poisoning even though no other people at the restaurant or even in the family complained about a problem. It MIGHT have been food poisoning or it might have been stomach flu....

So for every failed MTX tranny that is even remotely related to lubrication problems, there are at least one other success story with it too.

As far as a failed tranny having stinking MTL, I don't disagree with that. However, all trannys running MTL that didn't fail have shown the MTL to still be sweetish smelling. These are reports from people who have ran it a long time. I expect any failed tranny to have stinky fluid to be honest because the heat and metal will damage the lube...so it goes both ways here.

Also, I DID run Redline again during and after the MTL debacle, but I was running MT90. THis is a fluid using similar or even the same base stocks but engineered to a heavier weight. Both GL4 fluids. I liked it and I still saved the fluid downstairs in the garage. I had it in about 5 months, say July-November of last year so it may not be long enough to really say it was good or bad.
And before that I was running Royal Purple gear max, another fluid rated at GL5 but that claimed not to hurt yellow metal alloys. It worked pretty good but was a little notchy on cold morning starts, same as the MT90.
I went to switch to torco MTF because that is the fluid I ran the longest in my tranny and I never had an issue with cold or hot, but got sent RTF by accident. So I tried the RTF. It is some pretty good stuff, the best I've used so far.

So to sum it up: I don't run redline anymore because I found something better. I didn't stop using it because I thought my tranny would fail, I stopped using it because it was time to service the trans lube and I didn't want to wait for mail ordered MTL so I bought RP gearmax from my local shop. I didn't have any problems with MTL when I ran it and had nothing but good things to say about it.
I ran it from summer 2003 - march 2005, about a year of driving on it and just shy of a year that it just sat in my transmission while I went to Iraq.
IF ANYTHING was going to kill a transmission it would be sitting in a bath of the stuff and not being used for 10 months, AFTER being used for probably 8-10 months!! You can probably see the wisdom of changing any fluid after that time.
So try to understand my skepticism isn't personal, I just have too many things that indicate differently.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
W
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
W
I'm using Amsoil ATF.

Whirling dervish of FFOG.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard