Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Hi I'm fairly new here and was considering trying Solo II or AutoCross. So I was wondering how many people were interested in it. So Here's the Poll.

Autocross..

I've tried it.

I do it all the time.

I'd consider it.

No way, Not for me ever.

Any stories or comments would be great too.

For Sale 98+ SVT gauge cluster '98 Mystique LS 2.5l 5spd
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
I autocrossed my Zetec once last year and it was a blast. I intended to do it more often, but i wrecked my car in July and other circumstances prohibited me from doing it anymore last year. I fully intend to autocross this year. It is a blast. I've never driven any car of mine like that before. It will definitely show you the handling capabilities of your Contique

A Contour is not just a car, it's an experience 99 T-Red SE Zetec ATX Born April 16, 1999 98 E0 Silver Frost CSVT #3175/3565 Born August 21st, 1997 Stored at P.R.T. for the winter 67 Mustang 289 project car
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Reasons autocross is good:
  • It makes you a better driver overall, improving spacial awarenesss and car control.
  • You'll have an absolute blast if you like driving hard.
  • The camraderie and competiton of an event makes it a very fun time.
  • You'll get to see cool cars and meet great drivers.
  • There's almost no cost to get started.

Things to consider:
  • You'll possibly get hooked and want to spend money on your car - it's a motorsport and inherently expensive to be competitive. If you do get hooked and want to be somewhat competitive, you're looking at ~$5,000 for an ES MR2/Miata or STS Civic - and that's only mildly prepped.
  • You could break something. You need to make sure you have safe tires and your engine is in good shape. If you run with plenty of oil, and nothing on your car is in disrepair, you'll be fine, but it does stress the car more than street driving. Failures of well-maintained cars are very, very rare, but they do happen, usually due to the driver doing something wrong. If you run street tires and don't do anything stupid, it's a very low risk level - just be aware of the risks so you can prevent problems.
  • You will get some extra tire wear, and to a smaller extent, the brakes. A lot of newbies drive like mad, sliding and spinning all over the place: this will kill your tires. A fast lap doesn't push the tires all that hard, so you'll get very little extra wear if you work your way up to fast laps instead of down from too hot. Plus, you'll usually be quicker if you go that way as well.

Overall, it's something I think most people should at least try. Just take the time to read newbie guides and be prepared. If you're not ready, you might have a bad experience and never come back. Things I've seen:

• People come in high-powered cars on street tires and burn them up driving like idiots, and never come back because they used up too much rubber.
  • People don't come ready for the driving, and can't figure out how to drive. Without some idea of what it's going to be like, it can be frustrating, since it's quite different front he street.
  • People come unprepared for the non-driving part and have a bad time, i.e. don't bring water on a hot day, jacket on a cold one, food for lunch, etc.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
W
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
W
^^^ What Auto-X Fil said!

The only thing that's an issue with me is (in our region anyway) that an event pretty much burns a whole day. For many that's not an issue, but I've got 3 kids who don't see much of me during the week as it is, so the weekends are "quality time". When they get a little older (the oldest just turned 5) it might be fun to bring them along. But for now, I AutoX when I can and pray the event doesn't run late so I don't have to face my wife after having spent the entire day alone with 3 small kids.

Roger - "Old Guy" "Every car is a sports car sometime." 1999 White SE Sport V6 MTX 2005 Toyota Sienna - 8 passenger
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Yeah, that is one issue: it's not just about the driving. You have to be there early, usually 8-10am or so. Most regions finish around 4pm. That's pretty much all day, and you only get to drive for a few minutes. The rest of your day is spent waiting to run, working the course, and sometimes just doing whatever. It's all part of the experience, and a lot of fun, but it's not nearly as much driving as an open-track event. If you want to get lots of seat time without a huge time commitment, and money isn't as much of a concern, a track day provides as much as hours of seat time for only a few hundred dollars. You need good brake pads and tires, and a few other things, but it's still cheaper per minute.

Some SCCA regions run Solo II events in a split-day format. Philly does a great job with this. You show up at 8am and leave at noon, or come around noon and leave at 4pm. They schedule things so that when you're there you're busy working or driving, and then you can just leave.

A little prep work for a Contiqugar:

Jack up tire pressures to 45 front 35 rear.
Run 6.5 (or even 7) qts of oil in a V-6.
Change the oil if it's getting close to that time anyway.
Check lugnut torque.
If you have camber adjustment, mark where you are with a sharpie, then crank it to the max.

General stuff can be found on one of many newbie guides around the internet.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Auto-X-Fil pretty much summed it up. The one time i went last year i ran 6 times all day (almost 12 hours). The rest of the time was spent watching other people race or checking out their rides, working the course, or just sitting around. In Milwaukee, there was a huge crowd as well, so thats why the runs were limited. There is a smaller Autocross club in central Wisconsin that i might try as it has a smaller amount of people that show up. Also watch out for the know-it-all people (looking at my Zetec and laughing). There were a few when i went but i just ignored them. All in all it was an awesome time and i can't wait till this season, especially cuz i will have an SVT and my g/f will be running my Zetec

A Contour is not just a car, it's an experience 99 T-Red SE Zetec ATX Born April 16, 1999 98 E0 Silver Frost CSVT #3175/3565 Born August 21st, 1997 Stored at P.R.T. for the winter 67 Mustang 289 project car
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by White99SE:
^^^ What Auto-X Fil said!

The only thing that's an issue with me is (in our region anyway) that an event pretty much burns a whole day. For many that's not an issue, but I've got 3 kids who don't see much of me during the week as it is, so the weekends are "quality time". When they get a little older (the oldest just turned 5) it might be fun to bring them along. But for now, I AutoX when I can and pray the event doesn't run late so I don't have to face my wife after having spent the entire day alone with 3 small kids.

What he said, but with 4 kids.

I have "matured" on the whole subject of motorsports. When I first discovered autocross, I went stark raving mad and tried to sell the kids into slavery so I could afford more racing parts. Now I've come to my senses and realize that it's "just a thing" that I get to do now and then if I'm lucky.

I stay involved where I can, but the family comes first. There'll be more time for all this stuff later, and as the kids get a bit older (or show an interest.)

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Sounds like fun. I am always up for trying new auto sports.

"Do what you like, Because you have to drive it!"-Me 99 Contour LX 95 Mustang GT Convertible 97 Z24 Cavalier
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
where do you guys think is the closest place to me to do some auto x. I've been down to the drag strip a few times but the contiqugar wants to turn and show its good suspension, not just go in a line all day, boring, well fun, but boring in the long run. there is a few places around town that work very very well for darting around and racing friends, but I would like something a lot more organized. feedback pls..

I hate mcdonnalds
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
www.scca.org

find your local region

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard