Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
F
I've been popping P0420 codes recently, and also experiencing a few stalls (no code). I've done a lot of searching and believe that my cat is not likely the problem.

Reference this thread.

Per TSB. Some causes of P0420

Ã?â??Ã?· Malfunctioning ECT/CHT
Ã?â??Ã?· High fuel pressure
Ã?â??Ã?· Damaged exhaust manifold
Ã?â??Ã?· Cylinder misfiring
Ã?â??Ã?· HO2S wiring concerns (shorted or chafed, bent pins, etc.)
Ã?â??Ã?· Damaged exhaust system pipe
Ã?â??Ã?· Damaged muffler/tailpipe assembly
Ã?â??Ã?· Retarded spark timing

Damaged Catalytic Converter:
Ã?â??Ã?· Use of leaded fuel
Ã?â??Ã?· Oil contamination/consumption
Ã?â??Ã?· Silicone contamination (sealants/cleaners)

I'm determining a game plan and want some grey-hairs to advise. I think I'll first run down the list above, specifically focusing on the checking for high FP & bad ECT.

If these check out ok, I plan on cleaning the IAC, as it's been 4 yrs and ~63K since it's been installed as new.

If I get this far without finding it, then things get fuzzy as to what to check next. Any suggestions from here (or my plan in general)?

PS. My plugs/wires a 6 months old, and I'm not experiencing any misfires, so I suspect my ignition & coil are ok.

96 Sport 2.0L - 190,XXX miles
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by fdunford:
...I've done a lot of searching and believe that my cat is not likely the problem...

Actually, it most likely is the problem.

Check with your dealer to see if a reflash is available for your specifc model.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
AFAIK, the PCM reflashing for P0420 is not available for 1996. You are looking at new precat or mileliminators (with gutting of the precat; I think MI does not have smog emissions testing).

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by projectSHO89:
...I've done a lot of searching and believe that my cat is not likely the problem...

Actually, it most likely is the problem.

Check with your dealer to see if a reflash is available for your specifc model.

Steve

that and the pcm reflash is for the duratec only I believe

at 181k if the O2 sensors haven't been changed maybe try that first but most likely the cat is cooked

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
F
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by Tony2005:
the PCM reflashing for P0420 is not available for 1996.

This would support what I found (or didn't find) via search.

Originally posted by Tony2005:

You are looking at new precat or mileliminators (with gutting of the precat

If it weren't for the stalls I started getting, I'd tend to be in agreement with you. I'm not convinced that a bad precat would cause stalls?

F
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by BrApple:

at 181k if the O2 sensors haven't been changed maybe try that first

They were changed about a year and a half ago. I think I read in a search thread that the O2 tests were done before the cat eff test. If true, I suspect the sensors are ok.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B

If it weren't for the stalls I started getting, I'd tend to be in agreement with you. I'm not convinced that a bad precat would cause stalls?

you do not have a precat on a zetec, they are only on the duratec. the cat is bolted right to the exhaust manifold

if you have no codes for the O2 sensors and the only code is for the cat then it is most likely the cat.

at least on the duratec the cat monitor sensor should read about .7 volts at idle, if you graph the O2 sensor with the cat monitor over top the cat monitor should follow behind the O2 sensor when driving, if it doesn't that means there is an issue with the cat. IIRC the closer to 1 volt you are the richer the system and I believe the closer to .1 volts you are is lean, but it might be just the opposite.

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
... the closer to 1 volt you are the richer the system and I believe the closer to .1 volts you are is lean, ...

You are correct.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
F
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
F

if you have no codes for the O2 sensors and the only code is for the cat then it is most likely the cat.

I'm not challanging you, but am simply asking your opinion as to the stalls I started getting about the same time. Do you think a low cat eff would cause them?

if you graph the O2 sensor with the cat monitor over top the cat monitor should follow behind the O2 sensor when driving, if it doesn't that means there is an issue with the cat.

They show the graph in the TSB Figure 5 & 6. Looks hard to graph w/o the correct tools.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
if the cat has become plugged up then it could cause stalling

either way the pcm is telling you that there is something wrong with the cat so I really don't think that it would be much else

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard