Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1496420 02/05/06 10:03 PM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I just put on some decent Ford pads someone gave me, but next time it'll be pads and rotors, and I'm thinking about high-performance pads that could take some track use. I went looking for what my options were, and didn't find a comprehensive list anywhere. Here's what I found so far:

Mintex - a couple different compounds from BAT and SP. No reviews, but I'm sure there are some in the forums or archives.

Bendix - The old standby, these are great street pads that I would feel comfortable running on the track - but I'd be taking it easy on the woah pedal and letting them cool. More info would make me feel better - or worse.

Hawk - HPS and HP+. Tire rack has them, it seems, but depending on what car you select they show up or aren't listed. They don't seem to realize what pads work with which years. These pads are great, and the + are very trackable. The HPS are more agressive than the Bendix. Very dusty, kill your rotors, and quite expensive. That said, I'm going to contact tire rack and try to get info because they are very good for non-street use.

Ford pads - I don't know what I have, but they're good. The guy that gave them to me used the stock type on the track and liked them. Kinda dusty. Pricy, too, I think.

Any more info? Can I get KVR Ultimate Ceramic pads? Can I actually get HPS pads? Anyone track the Bendix pads from Stazi?

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
No experience with AutoX use, but I had Ford pads and now have Bendix Titanium IIs. The Ford pads sucked, and made a lot of dust. The Bendix pads are good, but made a huge amount of dust, much more than the Ford pads. They do grip better though.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
D
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
D
I JUST put the Hawk HPS on my wife's Contour (1999SE sport). Last Tuesday - probably have about 40 miles on them so far. I put the Brembo factory replacement rotors on at the same time. Too early to give you any thoughts, but if you're not in a rush, I will have more thoughts in a couple of weeks.

Horsepower is more expensive than crack.
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Where did you get the pads, and how much were they?

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
I have Hawk HPS pads on my wifes Intrepid, and it no longer brakes like it's a heavy car with small rotors. I didn't know Hawk has pads that fit our cars though.

I'm using the Mintex C-Tech (1144) pads on my car... and I think they're great. It probably took me an entire autocross season to relearn when to brake, because with these pads... I could brake MUCH later. And they're totally streetable -- don't need to warm up before they're grippy. They're a little more noisy (not much) and about the same level of dust as the factory pads. They easily push the limits of my non-R compound rubber. I'd run them again unless the HP+'s are better (and streetable) and are actually available in our sizes.

morbid 2000 Contour SVT (black)
H
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
H
I had the Mintex A/F pads once - definitely not good for a track car. They might do OK for autocross, but on fast road course with lots of braking they stunk. I wore a set of front pads out in one day (4 30 minute sessions) - all the way down to the backing plate. Avoid them!

'98 SVT Red/midnight blue - a few mods E0 wheels for sale - PM me
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Stock pads and rotors - Average initial bite. Poor fade resistance. Bad high speed fade. Extremely dirty pads.

Titaniums (I or II) and AutoSpec rotors - Good initial bite. Good stopping power. Average fade resistance for the first few stops. Then it drops off quickly. Average high speed fade. Below average dusting.

Bendix CT3 & Bendix rotors - Good initial bite. Good stopping power. Slightly better fade resistance then the T2 pads. It still suffers the same drop off after the first few stops. (showing the rotors are likely the limiting fade curve factor) Average high speed fade. Less dusting then T2 pads.

I'll save my next two brake reviews for another week or so.

Typical brake fluid = Poor
Stock Motorcraft brake fluid = Average
Castrol LMA = Good
Valvoline Synpower = Good
ATE Super Blue = Great

Since that is semantically written...

Bad = 1
Poor = 2
Average = 3
Good = 4
Great = 5
Excellent = 6

Better than, slightly, below, etc = + or - .5

Give or take rounding errors...

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
W
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by Matt R:
No experience with AutoX use, but I had Ford pads and now have Bendix Titanium IIs. The Ford pads sucked, and made a lot of dust. The Bendix pads are good, but made a huge amount of dust, much more than the Ford pads. They do grip better though.

Eff dust. Who cares? Go with Bendix Ti Metallic from Advance Auto.

Whirling dervish of FFOG.
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by weargle:
Originally posted by Matt R:

Eff dust. Who cares? Go with Bendix Ti Metallic from Advance Auto.

It makes your rims look like crap. I have the Bendix Titanium Metallic IIs, and they are fine, but they make so much freakin dust.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Agreed, you don't need braking power if your wheels look good. I'd rather have a rock-hard pad that doesn't wear to dust or chew up my rotor than one that will grip the rotor every time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard