Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by todras:
Sounds like the main cat is a pretty good start. Time to upgrade to a hi-flow cat.

I have to make sure because if it is..trubendz y-pipe with cat, here I come

G
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
G
another not upon installing my fuel filter, I started the car to see if there were any leaks. I noticed over at my cat that the joint where the y-pipe meets the cat, there was smoke comming outa there..i guess thats not a good sign now is it?

also my CEL just came on but i have no means of checking it because I cant drive my car to auto zone

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
another not upon installing my fuel filter, I started the car to see if there were any leaks. I noticed over at my cat that the joint where the y-pipe meets the cat, there was smoke comming outa there..i guess thats not a good sign now is it?

also my CEL just came on but i have no means of checking it because I cant drive my car to auto zone

Finally a freakin' CEL. I knew there was something waiting to pop up. The car can not run like that CEL free.

I'm not sure what you mean about where the smoke is coming from. Are you talking about the flange at the end of the y-pipe? If so, you probably just need a new donut gasket.

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
G
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by CSVT1214:

Finally a freakin' CEL. I knew there was something waiting to pop up. The car can not run like that CEL free.

I'm not sure what you mean about where the smoke is coming from. Are you talking about the flange at the end of the y-pipe? If so, you probably just need a new donut gasket.

yea i know huh..it is at the end of the y-pipe flange..wtf is a donut gasket?

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by CSVT1214:

yea i know huh..it is at the end of the y-pipe flange..wtf is a donut gasket?

It's a "ceramic type" of gasket shaped like a dount that goes between the 2 pipes where they join. When they are old they can just fall apart in your hand. Mine did.

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
G
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
G
Guys is there anyway I can clean my pre-cats once I have the y-pipe off. Im planning on taking off my y-pipe and cat this weekend to inspect the damage. I figured once I have that stuff off if theres anyway I can get as much crud off of the pre-cats as I could, hopefully I'll feel a noticable difference..

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Sure there is, gut the mofo's

undo the cat-back, see if it's the main cat first. I had a "high flow" dynomax bullet cat go bad on me within 100 miles of it's install and my whole exhaust system was glowing red! I gutted the POS and everything was back to normal.

If it's not the main cat, it's the precats. Either gut them after removing them from the car first (I have a set already gutted and in high temp primer that are waiting for someone to pick a color of high temp paint, and a new home MIL eliminators too) or get your mits on some MSDS or Weapon R's if you still can.

This is the best reason to add high performance mods

FYI, My 2.5L ran like crap after it's UIM/LIM/TB cleaning for a few miles. But, it cleared right up and ran great.

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard