Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
I know this has been discussed a million times, but I really just want to verify everything that I have read.

Firts I have a CEL and I know the codes are P1405 and P0420.

I have read everything about them in the archives and it seems like every contour has had them at some point in time! I am pretty sure the cat is bad because you can hear the plates rattle together when I accelerate!

My main question is, I plan to have a shop put on the zetec headers for a focus, which I have read will fit the contour with slight mods,then put a standard hi-flow cat on, but should I go ahead and replace the O2 sensors while I am at it???

How many of them are there, 4 or 2, and which ones do you guys recommend I replace, all of them or some of them or what?

Any help would be great!

Thanks

P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
two 02 censors, replace both, if you got the money.

96' ATX Zetec- stock 96' ATX Zetec- Modded Kenwood KDC-319 5.75"-2 MTX 12's Roady XT Custom door panels Mystique Cluster/oil pressure Getting repainted(in primer) Pre98 Lip SE skirts Mystique front lip dingless badgeless
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
or mil eliminators

-Contour's dead, but is being revived...
Originally posted by CSVT1214:
Originally posted by ford zetec2:
after than, what do i do with the 98 short shifter? do I place it in there like it is?

Stick it in your butt and rotate.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Neither of those codes indicates a problem with your O2 sensors. There is no indication they are bad.

If over 50K, perhaps I'd replace the upstream one for better fuel economy.

If your cats are indeed crumbling internally, they've started to clog and there will be excessive backpressure in the exhaust that can pop off one of the hoses from the DPFE sensor or can interfere with the sensor's capability to properly monitor EGR system performance.

Sometimes, rattling noise from the cats is due to the shields popping loose. Hit the cat with a rubber mallet to make sure.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
C
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
Well I replaced both of the O2 sensors today, as the cars has about 130,000 miles and I am pretty sure both of the sensors were the originals. Anyway, I cleared the codes after that and they have yet to come back, but I want to check that DPFE sensor too! Where is that located and does anyone have any pics? Should I just follow the hoses off of it and make sure there are no leaks?

Oh and it turns out that the cat wasn't bad, it was a bad gasket on the manifold that was ratteling, and all I had to do was replace the gasket and tighten the manifold bolts, any way any help on that DPFE thing would be great!

Thanks

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
You could check to see if the head shield is loose on the exhaust. If you cat is going bad, you might hear chunks coming loose, or you might smell sulfur (rotten egg).

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by chriseichman:
... but I want to check that DPFE sensor too! Where is that located and does anyone have any pics? Should I just follow the hoses off of it and make sure there are no leaks?

Figures 3, 4 and 5.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/ca/1e/0900823d801bca1e.jsp

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
C
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
I dunno if this makes sense, but The code I am still getting is P1405. The wierd part is it comes on only when I make a sharp turn at a fairly high rate of speed. This may only be a coinsidence but I thought I would ask? I am going to check out the DPFE tomorrow though! Any thoughts?

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard