Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
M
I searched the forums and did not find this information posted here yet. If this is a repost by chance I apolgoize.

There is a House Bill that we the car community must ensure does not pass. It's House Bill 5543.

Direct Link to Bill 5543
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28f5kxw455hq1t3155p211cmur%29/mileg.aspx?page=BillStatus&objectname=2006-hb-5543

Long story short if this bill passes it could result in a frenzy of excessive noise tickets, gross neglect of our state's tax revenue, and quite possibly hurt small exhaust / performance shop businesses.

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT

Michigan Bill Would Ban Most Aftermarket Exhaust Systems

A bill (H.B. 5543) to ban vehicles equipped with replacement exhaust systems that differ from the design specifications of the original muffler has been introduced in Michigan by Rep. Rick Jones (rickjones@house.mi.gov). H.B. 5543 would also prohibit the sale and use of exhaust systems that exceed an 80-decibel limit at a distance of 50 feet. The bill has been referred to the Michigan House Transportation Committee for consideration.

In some states, noise limits for modified exhaust systems are established by a SEMA model bill and applicable to an easy to administer test standard. The SEMA model provides for the testing of vehicle exhaust noise to a standard adopted by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) with an established noise limit of 95-decibels (SAE J1169). Under the SAE standard, a sound meter is placed 20 inches from the exhaust outlet at a 45 degree angle and the engine is revved to three quarters of maximum rated horsepower. The highest decibel reading is then recorded.

To date, with the popular support of vehicle enthusiasts and related businesses, the model has been enacted in California, Washington State and Maine. This year, the SEMA model was introduced in Virginia.

We Urge You to Call or E-mail Rep. Jones and Members of the House Transportation Committee (List Below) Immediately to Oppose H.B. 5543

H.B. 5543 ignores the fact that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.

H.B. 5543 fails to recognize that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.

H.B. 5543 would make it impossible for hobbyists to replace factory exhaust systems with more durable, better performing options.

The SAE J1169 test is performed in a controlled environment that limits the amount of ambient sound (e.g. from other cars) that might skew the results.

DON�T DELAY! Please contact members of the Michigan House Transportation Committee immediately by phone or e-mail to request their opposition to H.B. 5543. Please e-mail a copy of your letter to stevem@sema.org. Thank you for your assistance.

House Transportation Committee Members

Philip LaJoy, Committee Chair
Phone: 517-373-2575
E-mail Address: phillajoy@house.mi.gov

David Law, Committee Vice-Chair
Phone: 517-373-1799
E-mail Address: davidlaw@house.mi.gov

Robert Gosselin
Phone: 517-373-1783
E-mail Address: robertgosselin@house.mi.gov

Tom Meyer
Phone: 517-373-0476
E-mail Address: tommeyer@house.mi.gov

Tom Casperson
Phone: 517-373-0156
E-mail Address: tomcasperson@house.mi.gov

Neal Nitz
Phone: 517-373-1796
E-mail Address: nealnitz@house.mi.gov

Lorence Wenke
Phone: 517-373-1787
E-mail Address: lorencewenke@house.mi.gov

Tim Moore
Phone: 517-373-8962
E-mail Address: timmoore@house.mi.gov

Phil Pavlov
Phone: 517-373-1790
E-mail Address: phillippavlov@house.mi.gov

Tom Pearce
Phone: 517-373-0218
E-mail Address: tompearce@house.mi.gov

Glenn Anderson
Phone: 517-373-2576
E-mail Address: glennanderson@house.mi.gov

Pam Byrnes
Phone: 517-373-0828
E-mail Address: pambyrnes@house.mi.gov

Michael Murphy
Phone: 517-373-0826
E-mail Address: michaelcmurphy@house.mi.gov

Kathleen Law
Phone: 517-373-0855
E-mail Address: kathleenlaw@house.mi.gov

Morris Hood III
Phone: 517-373-3815
E-mail Address: morrishood3rd@house.mi.gov

John Gleason
Phone: 517-373-7557
E-mail Address: johngleason@house.mi.gov

Gabe Leland
Phone: 517-373-6990
E-mail Address: gabeleland@house.mi.gov

Also contact your local state representatives and/or the Governor herself.

Find the rep for your district:
http://house.michigan.gov/find_a_rep.asp

Contact Governor Granholm
http://www.michigan.gov/gov/0,1607,7-168-21995-65331--,00.html

PLEASE sign my petition and include its link in any email you send regarding this matter.

http://www.petitiononline.com/stop5543/petition.html

Here is a copy of the email I sent my reps and the governor. Fell free to use it as your template.

Dear Michigan Representatives,

Bill 5543 has recently come to my attention. I would like to express how displeased I am with this legislation. I feel Michigan does not require blanket legislation like this. Noise ordinances should continue to be taken care of locally (city, township, etc.) and not state wide.

I feel if Bill 5543 were to pass it would negatively effect local small exhaust and performance shop businesses. I also find it near impossible to accurately test for infractions considering the procedure will be used in the field not a controlled environment. Miscellaneous ambient noises (passing vehicles, wind, etc.) will skew results. Lastly, I find it a complete and utter waste of tax dollars (which will be required) to purchase testing equipment and train personnel if Bill 5543 were to pass.

I sincerely hope Bill 5543 does not pass and you'll find many people agree with me. Please take the time to view a petition I've started regarding Bill 5543.

http://www.petitiononline.com/stop5543/petition.html

Sincerely,

Jason Laskowski
Avoca, MI (District 81)

You're voice DOES matter!

p.s. I would sincerely appreciate if this could be stickied

This was taken from Xceedspeed...I just copied and pasted...

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
K
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
K
Nice work Pete

"THEE" Roger R USMondeo@aol.com 2005 Crossfire Limited coupe' -FOR SALE @buyout price & I'll... -throw in my 93' Regal as winter car *Dragon Run 06'...Oct 12-15th* Puur-fection Auto Detailing Complete packages from $140.00
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
80 dB from 50 feet... that has got to be one of the most retarded ideas I've ever heard... so they're gonna have to set up giant building to limit ambient noise for testing if you get pulled over for it.

All the detroit automakers are already getting hit hard... if they take away peoples ability to mod their cars people are gonna be leaving in flocks...

04 Subaru WRX "Eurosport bling bling fast and furious tokyo drift" "They have diarrhea of the mouth, and constipation of thought"
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
This is lame.

~Alex Ex- SVT Driver627 MUST SELL!!!LOCAL: Pre-98 MOLDED trunk Polk db speakers Corolla parts LED Underbody Kit PM 2000 Green CSVT gone on 2/17/06 2001 Toyota Corolla (SHE RUNS!!!) 1989 Mustang LX 5.0
S
Captain Impound Boy
Captain Impound Boy
S
Barge is Screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewed!!!! [censored] easy 100db

I wonder what my exhuast is? after all it is just stock

R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by WRX Barge:
All the detroit automakers are already getting hit hard...

How ironic Mr. Subaru.

M
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by rkneeshaw3.0:
Originally posted by WRX Barge:
All the detroit automakers are already getting hit hard...

How ironic Mr. Subaru.

GM, until 2-3 months ago, owned about 30% of Fuji heavy industriese (ie: Subaru)

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
that means a stock vette would get a ticket cuz those are 91db at full throttle.
and im willing to bet my car is louder than barge's, at least right now. imagine open y pipe.

2000 contour V6 ATX BAT suspension kit, k&n filter, SVT TB, SVT UIM, SVT LIM, MSDS headers, MSDS Y-pipe, SVT dual exhaust, Custum burned ADC chip, 7000k HID's, 200 amp HO alt, custom gauges, and 17" rims
S
Captain Impound Boy
Captain Impound Boy
S
I doubt it but you can find out Saturday im sure he will be at skunkworks

L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
ok cool
have you ever heard a contour with open y pipe
its real loud, thats why im nervous to drive to detroit.
but its for good reason

2000 contour V6 ATX BAT suspension kit, k&n filter, SVT TB, SVT UIM, SVT LIM, MSDS headers, MSDS Y-pipe, SVT dual exhaust, Custum burned ADC chip, 7000k HID's, 200 amp HO alt, custom gauges, and 17" rims
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  WorldTour_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard