Next Thread
Print Thread
J
jpshaw Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
My '96 Contour temp gauge doesn't move. I know I've seen this posted two other times with everyone saying its the sender. However, in my case, it does move. Every few weeks I will notice it about 1/4 the way up for a while. Also turning on the heater and setting it to the panel when first starting the car I notice the gradual increase in temp as it warms up, not the sudden change as a thermostat opens up. So I'm thinking I need a new thermostat instead of a sender. Comments please.

'96 GL Contour Zetec I4 mtx
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Air conditioner controls should not have any noticeable affect on normal operating temp.

Your symptoms indicate a thermostat that has failed in the open position.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
J
jpshaw Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
Steve - Didn't use the air. I turned on the heat through the panel vents before the car was warm. I think you're right about the "failed in the open position" for the thrmostat though.

'96 GL Contour Zetec I4 mtx
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
SO go ahead and replace the thermostat. They are wicked cheap. Just be sure to get the gasket at the same time.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard