Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/c6/79/0900823d801bc679.jsp
I think it is the timming cover gasket that's leaking. I have the same thing happening now. Just not as bad yet.

B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
you sure??
could it be the timing cover gasket from behind that pulley??

or are we still thinking its the valve cover gaskets??

ill check the plugs and wires oil residue test this evening and let ya'll know after class..

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Looks like motor oil to me. If the P/S was leaking that bad it would have ran out of fluid long ago.
Perhaps the side of the head lower down has a crack? The pulley with the red arrow is the water pump.

95 Contour GL. Bought new. BAT Sway Bars/Pioneer CD/Koni Rear Struts/Mobil Fluids. Looking for 15" alloy rims-PM me. 180,500km's so far.
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by SquareHead:
The pulley with the red arrow is the water pump.

No, that's the power steering pulley

E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
Open the link and click on figure 4. See the circled areas? Those area could be leaking. Do you see a wet area at the bottom of the vee on the cover?
Valve cover gasket leaks are fairly easy to spot, get some good light in the area and take a look.

B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
i checked the front 3 plugs before i got to school and they didn't seem to have any oil on them..
if that helps any

B
Learned patience the hard way
Learned patience the hard way
B
The valve covers have a separate perimeter seal versus the spark plug holes so they wouldn't necessarily be leaking. It's kind of an ugly area to see into, but you might try dabbing a rag down next to the engine mount on each side and see if one comes up with oil on it to try to isolate the leak a bit further.

As far as the timing cover leaking, it's possibly, but considering where gravity would be naturally taking the leak in that area, I'd say it's less likely.

Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
what would that determine again???
you said to check if there is oil coming from each side of the engine mount.

B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
How about the pcv oil seperator thats between the heads, I had the same thing and that was my leak. you cant get that out all the way though with out removing one of the heads, I am not really sure about that but Terry Haines told me that so I just removed the uim and lim and it is held in place by two bolts. if you unbolt it you can rotate it upside down and remove the gasket, clean it and install a new gasket then just reverse to install.

95 mystique daily driver 96 mystique parts car 95 contour 3.0L oval port swap in the works check my classified ad
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by beedalahi:
i have a 98 tour and had a gradual oil leak that turned into a pretty major leak.

is it just me or does it look like the harmonic balancer has seperated and moved back, look at its alignment with the ac pully. is that rubbing on the timing cover, that could be a problem if thats the case

95 mystique daily driver 96 mystique parts car 95 contour 3.0L oval port swap in the works check my classified ad
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard