Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Since I have one headlight that I couldn't sell, and based on this thread I thought I would give it a try.

Note: Use this How-to as a guide at your own risk! Your results may vary.

Tools / materials need
1 oven
1 stubby & wide flat head screwdriver
1 thin flat head screwdriver
1 pair mechanics gloves
cookie sheet

Time
45 - 60 minutes per light

Skill level
Intermediate

Directions

Ford stamped headlight:

Try to follow me here. I will explain as best as I can:
Think of where the clear lens and black housing of the headlight assembly as a mating point. The black plastic housing is shaped like a U, and the clear is |. The clear | slides into the black U which contains the adhesive. One part of the U is exposed to you and the other is inside the headlight. Waht you're trying to do is soften the glue and pry the | out of the U.

1. Pre-heat oven to ~250 degrees. I tried 325 and it started to melt the housing.

2. Remove black plastic trim the runs along the top of the headlight. It is "melted" on in four spots. I used a flat screwdriver and pried under either side of the melted spot until it popped off.

Overflow of glue on top:

Overflow of glue on bottom:

3. Remove as many screws as possible - most are torx.

4. Place cookie sheet on rack and place headlight in oven.

5. Leave headlight in oven for ~3 minutes. Check the overflow glue every minute thereafter to see if it has softened. Once it has softened, wearing your mechanics gloves, remove headlight from oven.

6. Scrape the overflow glue off the headlight:

7. Use the thin blade screwdriver to pry under the black plastic:

Repeat this as quickly as possible all around the headlight. If you take too long, you will should put the headlight back in the over for another minute or two to soften the adhesive again. Use the short stubby screwdriver to get good leverage to pry.

8. Repeat the process until:

Once the headlight is apart, you will see that the channel and lens may have a lot of adhesive left on it:

9. If the adhesive has gotten hard, pop it back into the over for a minute or two to soften the adhesive.

10. Use the screwdrivers to scrape and pull the adhesive out of the channel and off of the lens:

Here is a clean channel ready for your adhesive of choice when you are ready to seal them back up:

You can see below how the clear lens fits perfectly into the black housing:

Now I have a passenger light opened and ready to paint and/or projector.

Hope this helps.

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Well im glad i waited for someone to do these geather then cutting... thanks alot!!!

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
I wonder what effect this will have on hazing/yellowing. Maybe it speeds it up? Nice write-up Pete.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
G
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
G
nice write up pete!

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
and now i want to try, yet i'm still scared.

~Alex Ex- SVT Driver627 MUST SELL!!!LOCAL: Pre-98 MOLDED trunk Polk db speakers Corolla parts LED Underbody Kit PM 2000 Green CSVT gone on 2/17/06 2001 Toyota Corolla (SHE RUNS!!!) 1989 Mustang LX 5.0
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
GTOPete that is great. That is how I did my headlights. I took my how to from a Toyota Celica site. This is great for all Contique owners who are willing to do this project. Well worth it if you ask me!

"Do what you like, Because you have to drive it!"-Me 99 Contour LX 95 Mustang GT Convertible 97 Z24 Cavalier
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
will it work on the pre-98 lights as well. if i had and extra set i might be willing to try.

97 contour gl mtx front & rear upper strut tower braces 19mm bat sway bar Koni struts w/GC knockoffs
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Pete nice job on the write-up I could not have done a better job . I would recommend Black High Temp Silicone RTV for sealing the lenses back up. If put on right it will never leak. I've tried other sealants with no success.

As far as heating up the headlights I can't help, but point out I told you so.

People please do not ever doubt me again or try to give me $hit. I know what I'm talking about probably 90% of the time I decide to post something. Why? Because chances are I actually went through what I'm talking about.

So please refrain from posting crap like...

Originally posted by ANONYMOUS GENIUS:
Really? What color was the goo that held the headlights together? What year vehicle was this? Where you the original owner of this car? Do the lenses day "FORD" or "TYE" on them (at the bottom edge)

Unless ford changed suppliers for the headlights, the ones that came with EVERY Contour that I have touched DO NOT WORK WITH HEATING. The lens will melt before the glue will give way.

You aren't seriously questioning me and my skills, are you? Maybe I should just go right to the souce of the "Hightower Headlight Mod"...

Oh snap! That's me!!!

However feel free to comment negatively in a appropriate manner. I like constructive criticism. It tends to resolve things a lot quicker then mud flinging.

-Mike 98 Contour SVT Toreador Red #49 of 6535 Built on 3/25/97 WR Headers, Borla Cat-Back, Torsen T2 LSD, K&N Short Ram, S-AFC and Focus Shift Tower 85 Camaro 1969 358ci, 97 TA interior, 91 Z28 GrdEfx and Aero Wing 255rwhp
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Okay... Here's my negative comment:

the whole quote was un-needed. and rude.

The effects of baking them are STILL unknown. period. REGARDLESS if you did it sucessfully or not. there simply isn't enough hard data to be able to swear by it... yet.

If you are right "90%" of the time, then why SHOULDN'T I doubt you? what if this is one of those 10% times? Just because you are running a 9/10 sucess rate on "things you do" doesn't mean that someone can't disagree, or try to disprove you. Just because you've "tried it before" doesn't mean that those people have to like your method, or think that it works as well as you say it will.

Bottom line: you want people to try your method, and not sling mud.... try practicing that which you are preaching. "anonymous genius" quotes aren't helping. this isn't a competition to see who is more right.. its a community, supposed to be a family... to help us ALL out with different ways of doing things that look nice.

Let's try to remember that, huh, everyone?

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Additional Tips on this How-To:

Before placing the headlight in the oven remove the plastic inserts which the headlight bulbs lock into. They are held in by 3 torx screws.

Also remove the metal bracket that mounts the headlight to the car. It makes it a bit easier to take the headlight in and out of the oven if you can't pry the cover off in one shot (which is really hard to do).

Use Ultra Black High Temp Silicone RTV to seal the headlights back up. Make sure you use a lot of it where the cover 'snaps' into the assembly. I placed a very heavy bead all along the grooves where the factory sealant was, again making sure there was more then enough in the spots where the cover snaped into place.

It helps to have two cookie sheets one for leaving in the oven and the other to put the headlight on when you take it out of the oven.

When sealing the headlights back up It helps to have two wood clamps with rubber ends on them and a few clean rags. Once you snap the lense cover onto the headlight assembly immediately apply pressure to ensure a water tight seal. Put the clean rags over the lense and place the wood clamps on the headlights. I placed one clamp over where the high beams are and the other on the end of the headlight where the parking light is.

-Mike 98 Contour SVT Toreador Red #49 of 6535 Built on 3/25/97 WR Headers, Borla Cat-Back, Torsen T2 LSD, K&N Short Ram, S-AFC and Focus Shift Tower 85 Camaro 1969 358ci, 97 TA interior, 91 Z28 GrdEfx and Aero Wing 255rwhp
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard