Next Thread
Print Thread
#1491547 01/29/06 10:50 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
I was changing rotors and pads on my rears the other day. Got one side all done, but had some trouble with the lower caliper bolt on the other side. My Trox bit was missing some edges, and I think that stripped the bolt head all out. I got all the way under it today (got new tool), and it is completely mangled. I took the one I was able to get off to several Auto parts stores, and they said no way that is something they wouldn't have.

Any ideas of where to get one? Dealer? Junkyard? I guess those are my options.

How about getting this stripped one out? Before I touched it I had PB'd it up pretty well. Will Vice grips grab it OK? One guy at a shop suggested heating the bolt head up, and using the Grips. How would I do that, just with a lighter? Is PB flammable?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by mean'tour:
Any ideas of where to get one? Dealer? Junkyard? I guess those are my options.

How about getting this stripped one out? Before I touched it I had PB'd it up pretty well. Will Vice grips grab it OK? One guy at a shop suggested heating the bolt head up, and using the Grips.

Junkyard would be my first choice, then the dealer if you can't find it.

I don't recommend you heating it up.

On my 89 Grand Prix, I kept breaking torx bits and ended up breaking a long breaker bar. My auto instructor suggested that we heat it up, so we went down to the metal shop and got a torch. Heated the sucker up, and it came right out.

About 2 weeks later, my problem arose... the bolt we heated up now backed itself out while I was driving. Caliper rotated on the bottom bolt and caught the rim. NOT fun... I was lucky it didn't break the [aluminum] rim!

So yeah... heating it up caused the bracket to no longer hold the caliper bolt.

I would exhaust all other means before trying to heat it up.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
wow!
i have never had any problems like that from heating stuff up.
the heat wrench is your friend.

just how mangled is the torx?
try putting the new bit in the bold and giving it a few good whacks with a hammer to force it into the mangled head.
then see it if will come out.
if not try vice-grips.

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by ElKy:
wow!
i have never had any problems like that from heating stuff up.
the heat wrench is your friend.

just how mangled is the torx?
try putting the new bit in the bold and giving it a few good whacks with a hammer to force it into the mangled head.
then see it if will come out.
if not try vice-grips.

It's pretty badyly messed up. It was thinking about the Hammer approach with a larger Torx bit... and then maybe some heat. I've been soaking it in PB Blaster since Sunday, and won't get a chance to work on it until Saturday, maybe that will help as well.

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
If you have to heat a bolt to remove it you should replace it.It's a friggin' bolt,I think the security of knowing that it's good is more than worth a few dollars for the bolt.

When I replaced my rear brakes I sprayed it with lots of PB smacked it a few times with a hammer,and being as I didn't have the approriate torx,used the vice grips to get it out.

Just a word of caution,when the bolt breaks loose be careful not to cut yourself on the splash shield behind the rotor.It hurts BAD.

2000 Silver SVT
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by tsSVT:
If you have to heat a bolt to remove it you should replace it.It's a friggin' bolt,I think the security of knowing that it's good is more than worth a few dollars for the bolt.

When I replaced my rear brakes I sprayed it with lots of PB smacked it a few times with a hammer,and being as I didn't have the approriate torx,used the vice grips to get it out.

Just a word of caution,when the bolt breaks loose be careful not to cut yourself on the splash shield behind the rotor.It hurts BAD.

Oh, of course. I'm definitely planning on replacing the bolt. I'm just worried about how to get it loose.

I've already been scared of the splash guard! Thanks for the reminder.

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard