Next Thread
Print Thread
#1491010 01/28/06 11:52 PM
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
my car won't start(motor spins free),i can't pull the key out unless i disconect the battery,why? Can I Reset my computer(or buy a performance chip)? ANYONE i need help THANKS

1999 Ford Contour SE 2006 Bruteforce 750 4x4
#1491011 01/29/06 02:44 AM
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
"my car won't start(motor spins free)"
Is this the starter motor or the engine which is spinning freely? If it is the starter motor, then you may have a bad starter. As for the engine spinning freely, I read a post from Big Jim about the engine spinning freely. (edit see below).

"i can't pull the key out unless i disconect the battery,why?"
If this is an ATX, try pushing the shift lever closer/harder to Park and see if it helps. In the meantime, rather than disconnecting the battery, you may want to pull the ignition fuse (it will be either Fuse 4 or 6 depending on the year) in the Power Distribution Box next to the battery. Need to reinstall the fuse after that.
You may be having an ignition switch/lock problem.

Edit. Found the post in relation to the engine spinning.
Originally posted by Big Jim:
Is there a chance that the engine has flooded and that the rings have washed out? When this happens, the engine will crank extremely fast from the lack of compression, similar to a broken timing belt or a jumped timing chain.

Sometimes the cure is as simple as cranking while holding the throttle wide open (turns off the injectors). In extreme cases, you may need to pull the front three spark plugs and squirt a little oil in the cylinders to regain compression. If you do this, the engine will run a bit rough when it does start until the oil is blown out and the rear cylinders regain compression. It usually only takes a minute or two.

This doesn't happen all that often, but it is more likely to happen as the weather get colder. It usually happens from a cold start with a shut down almost as soon as it is started, such as start up in the garage, shut down in the driveway after backing out, then trying to restart a few hours later. Actually it can happen with a short time before trying to start again as well.

This is the beginning of the season that we start getting questions about this.

Last edited by Tony2005; 01/29/06 02:53 AM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
#1491012 01/29/06 02:56 AM
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
thanks for the help,i'll look at it later!!! it is the engine and it is an atx.

1999 Ford Contour SE 2006 Bruteforce 750 4x4
#1491013 01/29/06 03:01 AM
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Note if the engine is spinning normally (instead of freely), it could be the starter, Crankshaft Position Sensor or Camshaft Position Sensor. Good luck.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard