Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
L
My 98 CSVT is flashing the airbag light and the code corresponds to the clock spring being bad. I know this is in the steering column, has anyone here changed theirs? How hard is it to replace? Messing with the airbag kind of scares me to be honest, but it would be nice to have the horn and cruise work again. How much would a dealer charge for this type of repair?

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
2-4 little screws on the rear of the steering wheel, and the airbag comes off as a module.. pop the spring off, replace... reverse.

EASY!

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
L
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
L
Thanks guys!!! I have 2 quesions though, 1) How do you disconnect the supplemental power supply to the airbag? And 2)Do you have to remove the steering wheel to access the clock spring?

Can I get this part form like a NAPA or Autozone? If so I may do the repair tomorrow. So I can get my cruise and horn back!

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
I got mine from a junkyard, also remove battery power for about 30 minutes, then unscrew your AirBag module, then unplug it

Former owner of a 1995 Ford Contour GL w/ 2.0L ATX Proud owner of a 2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L V6 Vulcan --Looking for Commodore stuff (Drives, Units, Amiga, games, etc)If anyone has any of this laying around and wants it gone, lemme know --
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
"1) How do you disconnect the supplemental power supply to the airbag?"
It is a capacitor. Wait 15 minutes and the power should dissipate.

"2)Do you have to remove the steering wheel to access the clock spring?"
Yes. If you need to remove it. If it is just a connector
which came loose, maybe you can just reattach it and hope that will solve your airbag light/no horn/no cruise issue.

"Can I get this part from like a NAPA or Autozone?"
I think you need to get it from Ford.

Here are the Ford CD instructions to remove the clock spring/air bag sliding contact. Good luck.

Sliding Contact Air Bag
Removal and Installation

1. Make sure that vehicle's front wheels are in the straight-ahead position.

2. Remove steering wheel and driver side air bag module as outlined.

3. Remove steering column shrouds as outlined.

4. Disconnect air bag sliding contact wiring harness.

5. Apply tape across air bag sliding contact assembly stator and rotor to prevent accidental rotation.

6. Release three air bag sliding contact locking tabs and lift air bag sliding contact from steering column.

7. To install, reverse Removal procedure.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Disconnect the battery and wait at least ONE MINUTE.

You can wait longer, but it is not needed. The reserve power capacity in the airbag module is not that great.

See the service manual for exact details.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
L
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
L
So I assume these steps:

"5. Apply tape across air bag sliding contact assembly stator and rotor to prevent accidental rotation.

6. Release three air bag sliding contact locking tabs and lift air bag sliding contact from steering column. "

make more sense once you have car apart? Theres no chance of shorting anything out or setting off the other airbag accidentally once you are in there, right?

Oh and does anyone have a part number from Ford for this? Given the average parts guy, they'll look at me like Im nuts if I ask for a clock spring.

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
As I said, play it safe, remove the battery for 30 minutes, Maybe go grab a bite to eat. Air bags arn't toys and should be handled safely, one wrong move you could have accidential firing, then probaly going to have serious injuries or damage to SRS and or replacing the air bag module.

Ive taken my air bag off many times, it's just a matter of lettin the unit discharge. I took mine off to install cruise control, then replace the clock spring. So I know how the air bag unit is.

Former owner of a 1995 Ford Contour GL w/ 2.0L ATX Proud owner of a 2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L V6 Vulcan --Looking for Commodore stuff (Drives, Units, Amiga, games, etc)If anyone has any of this laying around and wants it gone, lemme know --
V
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
V
Hi,

I just replaced my clockspring 2 weeks ago. You will need a t27 torx bit to remove the airbag, a ratchet and 15mm socket to remove the steering wheel. a 3inch extension bar will be helpful.

THe clockspring costs $47 at any Ford dealership. Go to one with online specials. I got mine 15% off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard