Next Thread
Print Thread
#1490053 01/27/06 02:58 AM
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
I've seen lots of posts about upgrading the ground and alternator to battery cables, but can't find any info on how to do it. What size wire should I use, how much do I need, and where does the wire go?

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
#1490054 01/27/06 05:15 AM
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
The stock ground and power wires are pretty small. I think they are around 6 guage. I added a nice big 4 guage ground wire that goes from my starter to the driver's side motor mount, and another 4 guage wire from my alternator to the passenger side motor mount.

The power wire is pretty difficult to upgrade. You have to get to the megafuse which is hidden on your intake. You are better off just running a 2 guage wire from you battery to your stereo system.

Watch out because car stereo stores overcharge for fancy looking cable. It is really what shouldn't be used. The kind of cable that you want is tinned copper cable. It won't oxidize or corrode causing a crappy connection later on.

Check out this places 2 guage wire and 4 guage wire. Car stereo shops typically charge $2 per foor for 4 guage and $2.50 for 2 guage. Way too high.

Use compression connectors if possible. Stay away from the ones with the crappy little set screws. They only contact about a third of the actual wires in the cable.

If you've got some cash and really want to do it right, get a Cub Crimper and some closed lug connectors. The Cub Crimper is made by Quick Cable. You'll have to do some searching to find one and they are about $60. I could use this crimped on connector to lift out my motor.

It's also a good idea to insulate everything with adhesive lined heatshrink tubing. It also dresses things up and makes it look cleaner.

HTH,
BP

Last edited by ButtonPuncher; 01/27/06 05:26 AM.

Ben ---'96 Contour GL * Zetec ATX * Tan on Black steelies--- +++JRSC M62 Under Construction+++ My big-a$$ mod list.
#1490055 02/02/06 02:42 AM
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Thanks for the great write up BP. Is there any real benifit to doing this, ie is it worth my time and money? I already have 6 gauge running from the battery to my amp, and I plan on getting a KK battery terminal, but that is real it.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX

Moderated by  Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard