Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
busboy Offline OP
OP Offline
B
My mums 98'Contour (2L Zetec) broke the timing belt. She was slowing down to turn when the engine stopped. From this forum I understand this is a non-interference engine so I did not antipicate any damage. The shop she had it towed to decided to pull the head and sent it to a machine shop (would that be normal?),they say the tensioner had failed, and they mentioned some cap on the end of the cam had been contaminated by belt material and had some damage, also claimed one the valves had a nick and was bent. Again, from the good info on this forum, in addition to the tensioner and belt, I am having the water pump (origional 145k) replaced as well. The guy says he is into about 13 hours labour plus the parts. Does that sound high for this work or is the job that involved??

T
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
T
I pulled the head but it was due to overheating causing the head warp. I think the guy just wants to make extra money. The tensioner pulley, water pump and cam can be replaced or repaired without removing the head.
Still at 145k miles it won't hurt and it might run better.

95 Contour, 2.0L
H
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
H
Just had the same situation as your mum did a couple weeks ago. I'm at 169.880 and didn't need to do all that your shop is doing. Just replaced the belt, tensioner and have the timing done. Works just fine without a hiccup. Only cost me a little over 400 since this happened on the road.

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard