Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
G
There are a lot of new designs/redesigns over the last couple years that have given a new look to cars. How does the Contour / Mystique compare to the styling of today's cars? Cars like BMW, Volkswagen, Audi, Lexus IS350, Infiniti G35, Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX, Mitsu Evo, Ford Mustang, Acura TL & RL, Pontiac G6, Chevy Cobalt, etc. are good examples of "new" looks.

Some cars you can look at and tell it's dated. A 1992 Corolla looks like it's from the 90s. Aesthetic features like headlights, taillights, grilles, etc. are common for certain time periods.

(Note: This is regarding styling in general, not performance, price, etc.)

Compared to current styling, the 98-00 Contour's styling is:
much better than much of today's styling
somewhat better than much of today's styling
about the same as today's styling
somewhat worse than today's stlying
much worse than today's styling

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
I think that Contours look great. Some people have no clue what type of car I have. I have been told its a BMW, Honda, and tons of other things.

For what the car is and what time period it was made I would say it holds it own!

98 Lime Green SE w/SVT Kit, Projectors, CF Hood, 18" Rims, GC's, Shaved, System 98.5 Silver SVT #5737 Black FSVT Rims, MSDS, BAT Drop 85 Toyota PU Lifted 06 GSX R 600 Black/Silver My Rides
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I think the Contour in general still looks reasonably modern but uninteresting - just kind of "plain". About on par with today's designs and still better than some of them.

The CSVT I still think looks better than many newer 4-doors on the road. It too is on the plain side since that's what 90's styling was all about. It lacks the styling details you see on many newer cars. But the overall shape, proportions, lines of the body, etc are hard to beat.

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
The way that the body lines flow nicely is much better than todays styling... especially crap like those stupid Honda Elements.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
I like the unique design and "contour" of my 96 Contour (the smooth aerodyanmic looks even though there were some, I'm sure which were more aerodynamic than the Contique). It seems that most cars today look the same. Actually, most cars of the mid 90s look the same with the exception of the Contour/Mystique.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I love the Contour's styling and *much* prefer it to many of the 'edgy' designs offered today. However, there are some cues that date the car for me, the most prominent being how thin the doors and trunklid feel against newer vehicles and the way the interior feels like it's just comprised of many pieces put together (which of course it is, but shouldn't feel like it is). The dashboard of my new car feels like it completely flows together, and even newer budget vehicles like the revised Focus, Cobalt and tC invoke this feeling for me.

Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
i think it holds it own..much better that the pre98's...a couple of things that date it are the not so tight body gaps of the 90's and its bubbly shape...although the large clear headlights and chrome trim pieces keep it somewhat up to date with what ford is still doing,i.e fusion,500..etc

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever."-Aristophanes. --93 pgt,headers,intake,borla=14.9 1/4mile
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I think the Contour will age better than every sedan that was in its price range and most other sedans on the market. "Uninspiring" has its advantages.

-- 1999 SVT #220 -- In retrospect, it was all downhill from here. RIP, CEG.
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I'd say it's still current enough. I bet it was way ahead of it's time back in 95 (as was the Aurora) when you had box-cars like the Olds Cutlass Ciera still lurking around.

I still get people thinking my car is brand new...

Last edited by Big Daddy Kane; 01/24/06 12:15 AM.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
I still think the Contour can hold it's own in today's styling.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard