Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
You guys have been great over the years!

I have a 2000 atx v6 and the precats have been shot for a year- car was running OK but now it is stumbling at partial throttle. Any advice as to what I should do?
1) Have a mechanic clean out the precats?
2) Cut the dang things off and replace with a pipe?
3) Get a used header?

Thanks guys! If anyone has a pair of used exhaust manifolds or headers in decent shape I'm willing to buy'em!

Thanks for all of your help!

Cheers,
Albert

albertucsb@yahoo.com

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Gut them or buy headers. Theres nothing you can really replace with straight pipe or clean. Your other option would be to buy new precats which will set you back about $1000+.

"...first he's gonna s*!t, then he's gonna kill us." 1999 Contour SVT Retrojunk.com
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
$200 msds headers. search "group buy" forum for "grassroots"

2000 Contour SVT SF - #542 of 2150
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by albertucsb:

I have a 2000 atx v6 and the precats have been shot for a year- car was running OK but now it is stumbling at partial throttle. Any advice as to what I should do?
3) Get a used header?

Thanks guys! If anyone has a pair of used exhaust manifolds or headers in decent shape I'm willing to buy'em!

Cheers,
Albert

albertucsb@yahoo.com

id say if u have the money buy headers, if u dont just gut the precats till u have the money to either get another y-pipe or headers

1997 30th Anniversary SS,Jethotts/ORY/GMMG, 160thermo, ,TB bypass, 1LE intake elbow, BMR STB, 32mmswaybar..21mm rear,BMR LCAs, PR,SFCs,TA,LT4 KM,255lph, shift kit
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by posthuman63t:
$200 msds headers. search "group buy" forum for "grassroots"

You're gunna need to add about andother 150 to cover shipping and coating, sicne they are not SS they will rust.

~Alex Ex- SVT Driver627 MUST SELL!!!LOCAL: Pre-98 MOLDED trunk Polk db speakers Corolla parts LED Underbody Kit PM 2000 Green CSVT gone on 2/17/06 2001 Toyota Corolla (SHE RUNS!!!) 1989 Mustang LX 5.0
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R

3) Get a used header?

Cheers,
Albert

albertucsb@yahoo.com

8yrs or 80k miles for the Emissions Warranty. Take it to Ford and have them replaced. Otherwise, IMO, you are wasting any money.

Ryan Trollin!
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
GUT EM!

~Alex Ex- SVT Driver627 MUST SELL!!!LOCAL: Pre-98 MOLDED trunk Polk db speakers Corolla parts LED Underbody Kit PM 2000 Green CSVT gone on 2/17/06 2001 Toyota Corolla (SHE RUNS!!!) 1989 Mustang LX 5.0
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Sure, jump right in. Destroy an expensive set of cats before you really know if it is actually the problem.

You havn't described enough for me to go after the cats.

Have you driven the car with a fuel pressure gauge hooked up? From what little you have described, you could have a fuel supply problem.

So go ahead. And if that doesn't work, try a new set of plugs, then wires, then whatever comes to mind. By the time your done it may still run bad and you have spent enough that your could have bought another car.

Look into fuel supply problems. Your problem sounds similar to many other late 99 and 00 Contours with returnless fuel system and a plugged fuel pump intake screen.

Have fun!

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
..I have a 2000 atx v6 and the precats have been shot for a year- car was running OK but now it is stumbling at partial throttle. Any advice as to what I should do?..

Scan for CEL codes and post (this is very important as it will "confirm", maybe, if you really need to gut the precats or need new precats). Change the fuel filter and see if it improves. If not, then it could be the fuel pump/screen as Big Jim alluded to.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
H
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
H
Yeah, if it's definitely the precats and you are under 80k def take it to ford for the 8yr/80k emissions warranty. I did this recently and I'm getting them replaced for free this weekend. No diagnostic fee or anything, it's all covered under the warranty.

Def post the CEL codes here first though so people can tell you if that's the problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard