Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
OP Offline
R
Hello I am currently working on a turbo buildup project. I didn't have much luck at focaljet on getting information on the differences between the zetec pre focus. If anyone could tell me even the smallest details would be much appreciated. I just want to make sure I don't spend too much money and find out that I will not be able to use this motor. Also is the crankshaft the same as i'd like to stay stock in this matter as this motor may well be seeing 300 hp. Should I replace the maincaps?

O
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
O
The biggest differences are in the head and the windage tray/oil pan design. I have a set of main caps I think you might be interested in. PM me for details. The focus crank works, the rods and all that work, unless you're trying to use FSVT rods and pistons as I think they have an SVT specific design. I think you could use FSVT rods and pistons togehter (with some machine work to lower CR would be needed on the Head and pistons) on a stock focus crank and have a pretty decent setup capable of 300HP easily.

Ohsigmachi '96 GL MTX Zetec --I don't won't to hurt you, but it's still on my list of things to do.-- View projectSlippery Slope
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
So are you tring to put a pre-98 Zetec into a Focus? Or are you trying to put a Focus motor in a Pre-98 Contour?

BP

Ben ---'96 Contour GL * Zetec ATX * Tan on Black steelies--- +++JRSC M62 Under Construction+++ My big-a$$ mod list.
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by ButtonPuncher:
So are you tring to put a pre-98 Zetec into a Focus? Or are you trying to put a Focus motor in a Pre-98 Contour?

BP

I think he wants to know if he can bolt some of the focus Zetec parts onto his Pre98 Silver top.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
R
OP Offline
R
Originally posted by AliasJerk:
Originally posted by ButtonPuncher:

BP

I think he wants to know if he can bolt some of the focus Zetec parts onto his Pre98 Silver top.

It is a contour zetec "silver top" going into a 00 ford focus. And yes I would like to know if I can bolt on focus parts onto the block. I think I am going to buy the ford racing head so that shouldn't be a problem. I have totally taken this motor apart and the oil pan is different but this motor does have a windage tray if I recall. From the sounds of it I should be good to go.

Which flows better the contour intake or the 00 focus intake mani?

O
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
O
If you have the metal 00 mani port that Biznatch and get'er done!

Ohsigmachi '96 GL MTX Zetec --I don't won't to hurt you, but it's still on my list of things to do.-- View projectSlippery Slope
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
hi, i put a focus M45 jackson racing supercharger kit on my 2.0 mondeo zetec silvertop (which is year 1994). the differences where the alternator, PAS pump and entire drivebelt route/pulleys is totally different setup, totally different engine mounts, sump/oilpan has the recess in different place, exhaust downpipe and cat totally different, IAC valve, throttle body and throttle cable all different. as is the traction control and cruise control units. cambelt is shorter on the silvertop.

also the fuel rail and injectors, fuel pressure regulator, MAF is 6-pin instead of 4pin (easy to convert though), then theres the internal differences like hydraulic tappets on the silvertop.

the cams and cam gears are interchangable, as is the inlet manifold but you may need to mod it around the alternator.

i can go into more detail if you need it just giz a shout.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I just posted this on the Foclajet Forums. Correct me if I'm wrong with anything...

Originally posted by me:
Let me see if I can help. (I'm guessing that you're the same person who posted in the Zetec forum on the CEG.) It would probably be nice to let you Focus guys know what Contour/Mystique/Cougar Zetec parts that you can use.

The pistons, rods, and crank are the same. Similar coil packs and wires, but some models had clips on the wires, others didn't. The oil pan is a one piece design that is shallower on the accessory end, deeper on the transmission end (opposite of the Focus). The oil pan and pickup are totally different from the Focus. I've been told by Tom (focus-power) that the main caps are all the same. The heads vary.

Pre-98:
-Hydraulic lifters
-EGR (no VCT crap)
-single timing belt tensioner (won't work with Focus or FRPP head)
-centered water pump (won't work with Focus or FRPP head)
-4-wire MAF with seperate IAT
-different oil pump design than 98+

98+:
-mechanical lifters (same as Focus)
-VCT (no EGR, you can tell by the funky cam gear and the taller valvecover)
-Timing belt tensioner and idler (same as Focus)
-offset water pump (same as Focus)
-6-wire MAF with internal IAT (similar to Focus)
-same oil pump as Focus

In order to drop a Contour/Mystique/Cougar into your Focus, you would need to swap over the passenger side motor mount/timing cover piece. That would restrict you to 98+ Zetecs. Either that or you would have to swap your timing/accessory drive from your Focus onto the Pre-98 Zetec.

Also, it is probably a good idea to stay away from a 95 Contour/Mystique Zetec. They used OBD-1 and some other funky stuff. The motor is the same as the Pre-98 though.

Ford Contour, son of the Mondeo, father of the Focus.

I hope this helps.

Ben ---'96 Contour GL * Zetec ATX * Tan on Black steelies--- +++JRSC M62 Under Construction+++ My big-a$$ mod list.
I
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
I
I do have one question though...with the large amount of Focus motors out there why go for a pre98 zetec? I could understand a new focus zetec in a pre98 but the other way around?

IonNinja 2005 Saturn ION-2 Sedan 1996 Ford Contour GL - Collecting dust...Zetec project anyone?
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I think the Focus guy got a '96 Contour Zetec for cheap. Not exactly sure though.

Originally posted by roz2slik:
Also is the crankshaft the same as i'd like to stay stock in this matter as this motor may well be seeing 300 hp. Should I replace the maincaps?

I would, and I am on my turbo build-up. I wouldn't trust any of the stock cast pieces. I'm going with ARP main studs, ARP head studs, forged rods, billet main caps, and forged pistons. I'll probably also have the block o-ringed.

BTW, I see you bidding on that FRPP head. You suck. If I had the cash I'd be all over that.

BP

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard