Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
K
Thanks to all who posted ref my blocked cat issue (buried in the 'temperature sender thread!). I followed Tony2005's suggestion and took out the front Oxy sensor to see if the performance improved - if it did it was a marginal improvement - maybe the hole just isn't enough to allow the engine to breath well? Anyway I was after comments on the Oxygen sensor itself - I have no experience as to what these things should look like - mine was black & sooty - does that help with the diagnosis - I'm thinking too rich in the mixture - not enough air getting through - therefore blocked cat???

Can the oxygen sensor be cleaned? And lastly it looks like a 4 wire sensor in front of the cat and a 2 wire sensor behind - why is that?

Thanks, Malcolm

Malcolm Ford Mondeo 1996 2.5L Duratec 12000 miles, auto, station wagon
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by kiwiford:
...Can the oxygen sensor be cleaned? And lastly it looks like a 4 wire sensor in front of the cat and a 2 wire sensor behind - why is that?

Thanks, Malcolm

I don't think the O2 sensor can be cleaned as it is too sensitive. From TSB, "Use care in handling HO2S sensors: In the event of catalyst replacement, use care in the handling of HO2S sensors to prevent damage or contamination." A bad sensor can cause bad mileage and bad engine performance.

Edit. TSB for additional reading info on O2 sensors and cat.
http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/TSB0197HO2SServiceTips.htm

Last edited by Tony2005; 01/21/06 09:59 PM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard