Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
K
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
My name is Tommy Ellison of Overland Park, KS. I am 18 years of age. I've been searching, reading and searching for answers on Contour.org as to how I can complete my undertaking. This is what I want to do for my College engine rebuild class...I want to find a 3.0L duratech from a local junkyard and rebuild it to put into my 99 5-speed v6 Contour sport. I am looking for my options as to the best 3.0L i can put in. My questions consist of the following...(please answer my questions as close to the point as possible Thank you)

1) can I drop a whole 3.0L into my contour?(getting the whole engine from another car, taking my 2.5L out, trash the 2.5 as a whole and put the rebuilt 3.0L in its place)

2) if i can put in a rebuilt motor, what exact motors can i put in out of what Ford cars?(years included please be specific)

I know there are how-tos i am still looking for them but I REALLY NEED HELP in order to get this done. I will be making trips to dealers to talk with techs about the 3.0L engine itself. I need to know which of the engines i can use. this will be going into my dayly driver car as an alternative to the problemed 2.5L in it. I need to determine if this will be worth my time and more importantly my money.

Disclaimer: Yes i admit i am a newbe. I admit I may ask some dumb obvious questions.(will do my best to keep them to a minimum) I have done a lot of research and am still busting my tail to do more. I am trying my absolute hardest to get my project done and ask that you guys please support me as best you can.

Thank You CEG

Please post information as soon as possible i have approx 2 weeks max before i have to have a decission and an engine in my possession for this project to be undertaken.

G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by kscontourkid:
My name is Tommy Ellison of Overland Park, KS. I am 18 years of age. I've been searching, reading and searching for answers on Contour.org as to how I can complete my undertaking. This is what I want to do for my College engine rebuild class...I want to find a 3.0L duratech from a local junkyard and rebuild it to put into my 99 5-speed v6 Contour sport. I am looking for my options as to the best 3.0L i can put in. My questions consist of the following...(please answer my questions as close to the point as possible Thank you)

1) can I drop a whole 3.0L into my contour?(getting the whole engine from another car, taking my 2.5L out, trash the 2.5 as a whole and put the rebuilt 3.0L in its place)

2) if i can put in a rebuilt motor, what exact motors can i put in out of what Ford cars?(years included please be specific)

I know there are how-tos i am still looking for them but I REALLY NEED HELP in order to get this done. I will be making trips to dealers to talk with techs about the 3.0L engine itself. I need to know which of the engines i can use. this will be going into my dayly driver car as an alternative to the problemed 2.5L in it. I need to determine if this will be worth my time and more importantly my money.

Disclaimer: Yes i admit i am a newbe. I admit I may ask some dumb obvious questions.(will do my best to keep them to a minimum) I have done a lot of research and am still busting my tail to do more. I am trying my absolute hardest to get my project done and ask that you guys please support me as best you can.

Thank You CEG

Please post information as soon as possible i have approx 2 weeks max before i have to have a decission and an engine in my possession for this project to be undertaken.

Well for starters you will need a TwEECer (or some other sort of) engine management being that you do not have an SVT. You will also want to upgrade to a Torsen differential. If you don't believe me, take apart your transaxle and look at your side and pinion gears.

Engines....

The 01+ Taurus motor (vin S) is perfered being that it requires much less work to make as much power as a hybrid (with a lot more work). But if you get an awseome deal on an older motor and aren't scared of doing some work, go for it!

I'll let the others take over from here.

BTW will your class let you do performance work???

Have fun,

Mike

The ONLY 96 (engine) 3L Build 'em fast. Spray 'em faster. ricehatersclub.com
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Actually a recent escape engine will make things much easier as you wouldn't have to swap the front timing cover and oilpan...

You have to figure out which intake manifolds you are planning on using...
You can use your stock intakes on the contour which will need port matching or use a taurus upper intake manifold along with the rest of the escape intake components... Using the taurus intake manifold will mean a little welding to get the throttle body bracket to work, and some sort of custom tubing to hook up the EGR... (I would just delete the EGR and get it tuned accordingly)

An LSD is a good idea, either torsen or quaife along with an upgraded clutch and why not even headers when your all in there!

You will also need some sort of tuning to get all this runnning properly...

In my opinion find a 04 Ford Escape 3.0 DOHC engine... Swap the rod and main bearings with Clevite bearings... Trim the necessary ears on the block... Get your taurus upper intake manifold, mod the throttle body bracket & either ditch or mod the EGR and get it tuned... Add LSD, clutch, headers and you'll be all set

3.0 14.392@97.237 2.302 60ft OEM 4-bolt LCA's $105 each Watch me go
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by 96BlackSE:
In my opinion find a 04 Ford Escape 3.0 DOHC engine... Swap the rod and main bearings with Clevite bearings... Trim the necessary ears on the block... Get your taurus upper intake manifold, mod the throttle body bracket & either ditch or mod the EGR and get it tuned... Add LSD, clutch, headers and you'll be all set

Or save yourslef $300-400 and get a +02 Taurus Sable Duratec (Vin F) and just reuse your Contour's timing cover, valve cover etc., and buy an updated Escape oil pan from Bill Jenkins at Team Ford.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by Stazi:

Or save yourslef $300-400 and get a +02 Taurus Sable Duratec (Vin F) and just reuse your Contour's timing cover, valve cover etc., and buy an updated Escape oil pan from Bill Jenkins at Team Ford.

Vin S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3:12AM? Someone sleep posting?

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by todras:

No ish. I was like when the hell did they change it to 'F'

Ryan Trollin!
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by todras:

Almost.

NOTE TO SELF: no more posting at 3am.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by kscontourkid:

I was thinking of the escape engine because of this

3.0 14.392@97.237 2.302 60ft OEM 4-bolt LCA's $105 each Watch me go
K
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
Sweet now about how long is this going to take to mod everything?

to answer your question mike yes i am taking a performance tuning class.

i read the "20 pg dissertation" about tuning and it somewhat frightens me. if say i use the taurus engine what injector #s and what MAF do i need to make the damn thing run "out of the box?"

Is the diff and the clutch absolutely necessary? or can i get away with what is in the car?

right now as it stands i may just be doing a 2.5L rebuild, tune and drop in. but i will decide that in another forum if i choose that route.

until then please keep the info flowing this is exactly what i was hoping for. you guys are the best!

K
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
ok enough sucking up back to business

i need a VIN "S" motor out of a Taurus/Sable/Escape...right?
what is the earliest year engine i can use? '98? in that area? im getting the engine from a junkyard and i dont think i will be able to get a later model engine...this may be a deciding factor.

Big Major Question...This is the whole reason i want to do this...my engine right now has a leaking front cover. it is apparently leaking onto the alternator and frying them left and right and ford wants 1,000+ to fix it.(haha who do they think i am...some dumb kid? no pun intended)

I figured the 3.0L would be just an all round better engine(reliability, power, fuel economy...im only getting 20mpg strange thing is no matter how i drive the car it still gets 20mpg...anyway) i am hoping though that the cost will be manageable, which leads me to my next big question...

please anyone who HAS completed this project chime in.

What is the approximate price to get all this done? the engine should cost around $200+parts

how much has it costed you guys?(approx. round if necessary)

thank you so much ill be checking back frequently

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard