Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
K
I have become aware that the zetec engine has both an engine coolant temperature sensor (an input to the PCM) and a seperate temperature sender unit which feeds the temperature gauge. I've had fluctuating gauge readings and have inadvertantly replaced the ECT sensor - what I want to do is replace the temperature sender - but cannot see where it is located on the engine - anyone have a picture/diagram to help or can point me in the right direction? The vehicle is a 1998 Contour. Thanks

Malcolm Ford Mondeo 1996 2.5L Duratec 12000 miles, auto, station wagon
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
K
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
K
Many thanks - found it. This is one of several issues I have with the car - primary problem is poor performance - its like someone stuck a 1200cc engine in place of the 2 litre! Had a good tip recently though - blocked cat - initial thoughts are that the exhaust flow is restricted when I compare it to another car - is this a common fault with this car?? Cheers

Malcolm Ford Mondeo 1996 2.5L Duratec 12000 miles, auto, station wagon
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Post your mileage. You may just need a tune up.
Oh ya- Hey Kiwi, welcome - Canuck

2012 Lotus Evora --------- 95 Mystique MTX - GONE 395,000 Kms --------- Both Zetecs '97 Contour Mtx - stock - GONE
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
As far as the temp sender... even after I replaced mine, the temp gague still doesn't read right. Anyways, as far as the exhaust... Zetechs have a small 1 3/4" diameter pipe, and it is very restriced. Putting on a new catback would help.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by kiwiford:
... Had a good tip recently though - blocked cat - initial thoughts are that the exhaust flow is restricted when I compare it to another car - is this a common fault with this car?? Cheers

Often for the Duratec at 7 years or so. Not as often for the Zetec.

Edit. Zetec test for blocked (plugged) exhaust.
For the Zetec.
A good cheap way to test for a blocked exhaust is to remove the upper O2 sensor, and see if the performance improves. Battery needs to be disconnected before uninstalling and installing O2 sensor. Good luck.

Last edited by Tony2005; 01/19/06 03:07 PM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
F
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by kiwiford:
Many thanks - found it. This is one of several issues I have with the car - primary problem is poor performance - its like someone stuck a 1200cc engine in place of the 2 litre! Had a good tip recently though - blocked cat - initial thoughts are that the exhaust flow is restricted when I compare it to another car - is this a common fault with this car?? Cheers

Mine was blocked really bad (97 Zetec with 92K) It wouldn't rev past 4000 on acceleration. Also when cold, it would just about shut down after 3500 (like the gas was shut off).
Mechanic did a backpressure test. I got a replacement (catco) for $270 bucks. It pulls stronger than ever - least that's how it feels ha ha.

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard