Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
The other day I was thinking about a hood strut kit. Decided $50 was too much. I knw my taurus has hood struts and there is a million of em in the junk yard. So i set out to make them work.

I Purchased them along with two out of four ball ends i needed. Found some perfect size screws to work as the other ball ends. I also purchased a 8x1.25mm tap and 17/64 drill bit. Removed the upper screws that held in the hood and taped the holes larger.

I then removed the appropreate bolt on the fender, replaced with my new "ball end" (really just a proper sized screw) and that was it.

The kit fits perfect, looks factory, has motorcraft part numbers on them and lifts the hood about 2" more than normal.

Heres the final product. I do eventually plan to find proper ball ends to replace the lower screws. The tap set cost me $11 and the struts were $3-4.

Picture 1

Picture 2

98' Red E0 Contour SVT - Project SVT Tour' Pioneer Touch Screen Navigation / DVD, Infinity Speakers Borla Stainless Cat-Back, AEM True CAI, High Flow Y-Pipe 3L Hybrid w/ 3L Valves, Window Automation, Torsen LSD
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Good option. I like cheaper but does everything close up nice and tight? You purchased the struts from a slavage yard but only two of the four ball ends? Does the taurus only come with two? Do they sell the ball ends at parts stores?

Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Those are hot Brad!

Yea, im thinking I kinda want a set now...

Next time we run to the junkyard i'll grab a set.

I started cleaning up those headlights. I picked up a kit from Advance that has these presaturated pads that you spray water on to activate the compound, they did pretty well and cleaned up the yellowing very nicely, but they weren't quite as clear as I wanted them to be so I picked up a heatsink lapping kit from frozencpu and started to wetsand them...

1999 Mystique LS V6 Alpine CDA-9807, Rear deck sub, Opt. TB, K&N RU-3530/MAF adaptor, custom heatshield, FSVT 17's, SCT 4-program chip, Eibach's/ST200's, Hella Fogs...
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
great idea man

1998 T-Red CSVT 3.0L
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
It closes up perfect. It looks and feels factory.

-The taurus has diffrent size ball ends for each end. The two larger ones are the ones i pulled.

-The smaller ends are welded to the car. This is the reason i only pulled 2 ball ends.

Once you lift the hood up 6" it holds itself. At about 8" it pushes itself up the rest of the way.

-Brad

98' Red E0 Contour SVT - Project SVT Tour' Pioneer Touch Screen Navigation / DVD, Infinity Speakers Borla Stainless Cat-Back, AEM True CAI, High Flow Y-Pipe 3L Hybrid w/ 3L Valves, Window Automation, Torsen LSD
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
brad... a "how-to" would be nice..

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever."-Aristophanes. --93 pgt,headers,intake,borla=14.9 1/4mile
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Man , those muthas are huge ! Looks like they work just hunky-dorey though , so ... GOOD JOB !!

~~~~~~~ Phil Black & Tan 2000 SVT Contour #2137 of 2150 35,000 miles & counting !
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Very resourceful man, good job

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by Nate S:
great idea man

x2!

Same great look and function!

Big props!

"Do what you like, Because you have to drive it!"-Me 99 Contour LX 95 Mustang GT Convertible 97 Z24 Cavalier
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
I used ones for a (IIRC) Cadillac Catera. They were $12-15 each brand new and have a lifetime warranty. I did this a good 5 years ago.
I even did a nice write up that may still be in the archives NOBODY EVER SEARCHES.

I would never use used struts personally!

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard