This post has been added to FAQ - Duratec Basics - Read Before Posting.

Below are the most commonly suggested "first" performance mods done to the 2.5 Duratec, and to reduce the number of "I just got my SVT, what should I do first" posts.

Please read the FAQ - Bolt-on Basics to find out where to purchase and Search to find more information.

=Remove hoodliner=
This will reduce overall engine bay temps.

=Optimize TB=
Virtually free for a dyno proven 1-2 hp gain.

=Intake=
K&N RU-3530 is the most recommended w/ a MAF adaptor.

=Heatshield=
Create a heatshield to isolate your open intake from engine bay heat (heatsoak).

=Maintenance=
- Cleaning filthy TB, UIM and LIM will do wonders.
- Replacing old spark plugs & wires, properly gapped plugs
See FAQ - Duratec Maintenance.

=Remove stock resonator=
For 1-3hp gain and better sound, remove the stock resonator and replace with a straight through design. Magnaflow 4" round is most recommended.

=Y-pipe=
- Aftermarket, aluminum or stainless
- Optimize the stock y-pipe for better flow. CEGers think this is a DIY mod - it's not (in most cases). You will have to take the y-pipe to someone who can perform the optimization.

=Exhaust=
Cat-back brands available are limited. Most affordable and recommended currently is the Tru-Bendz.

=Short throw shifter=
B&M or Steeda

=Gutting pre-cats=
CEGers have gut the pre-cats ("headers"), especially when they have become clogged.

=Headers=
MSDS or Weapon-R

=Chip=
Recommended as the last mod as to avoid reburn. ADC is most recommended/used.

=For non-SVTs=
SVT TB, SVT UIM, SVT LIM, SVT exhaust

=Other mods=
Suspension, brakes, forced induction, 3 liter, etc. can be found in the respective forums.

This is a a work in progress - suggestions are welcome to improve this compilation.

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq