New CEG\'er
B
bump

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by bigjohnstud5:
...where is the resistor (what does it look like) and how do i test it? ...

You have already tested it and it doesn't work.

Radiator fan resistor located at bottom left (driver's side) corner of the fan shroud. According to the Ford CD manual, you need to remove the fan shroud assembly to access it.

Edit. If you are up to it, here are the instructions from the Ford CD Manual.

Cooling Fan Resistor
Removal and Installation
1. Remove cooling fan motor/fan blade/fan shroud assembly as outlined.
2. Disconnect wiring harness connector from the cooling fan resistor.
3. Remove cooling fan resistor retaining screws and resistor from fan shroud.
4. To install, reverse Removal procedure. Tighten retaining screws securely.

Cooling Fan Motor, Fan Blade and Fan Shroud Assembly, Electrical
WARNING:
TO AVOID THE POSSIBILITY OF PERSONAL INJURY OR DAMAGE TO THE VEHICLE, DO NOT OPERATE THE ENGINE WITH THE HOOD OPEN UNTIL THE FAN BLADE HAS BEEN FIRST EXAMINED FOR POSSIBLE CRACKS AND SEPARATION.

Removal
1. Drain engine cooling system as outlined.

2. Disconnect battery ground cable.

3. On 2.5L engine equipped vehicles, disconnect wiring harness connector from A/C cycling switch.

4. Remove main wiring harness retaining push pin from fan shroud and disconnect main wiring harness from retainer brackets located at top of fan shroud.

5. Move main wiring harness aside.

6. Remove cooling fan wiring ground cable from RH front fender apron.

7. Remove upper radiator hose from radiator.

8. On 2.5L engine equipped vehicles, remove radiator overflow hose from radiator.

9. Remove transmission oil cooler tube from oil cooler inlet fitting (if equipped).

10. Raise vehicle on hoist.

11. Remove lower radiator hose from radiator.

12. Note: Loosen transmission oil cooler tube while holding radiator connector with back-up wrench.

Remove transmission oil cooler tube from oil cooler outlet fitting on radiator (if equipped).

13. Disconnect A/C clutch field coil at wiring harness connector.

14. Remove transmission oil cooler tube from retaining bracket located at front of front sub-frame (if equipped).

15. Remove transmission oil cooler tubes retaining bracket from front sub-frame (if equipped).

16. Support fan shroud, radiator and A/C condenser core with a suitable jack stand. Remove lower radiator supports from front sub-frame.

17. Remove two retaining bolts for A/C condenser core from brackets at bottom of radiator.

18. Position jack stand aside and carefully remove the fan shroud and radiator as an assembly.

19. On bench, remove fan shroud from radiator.

Installation

1. Install fan shroud to radiator.

2. Position jackstand and install the fan shroud and radiator as an assembly.

3. Install two retaining bolts for the A/C condenser core to brackets at the bottom of the radiator. Tighten to 2.7-5.4 N-m (24-48 lb-in).

4. Remove jackstands. Install lower drive belt idler pulleys (8679) to front sub-frame. Tighten retaining bolts to 8-11 N-m (71-97 lb-in).

5. Install transmission oil cooler tubes retaining bracket to front sub-frame.

6. Install transmission oil cooler tubes to retaining bracket located at front of front sub-frame (if equipped). Tighten retaining bolts securely.

7. Connect A/C clutch field coil to wiring harness connector.

8. Note: Tighten transmission oil cooler tubes while holding radiator connector with back up wrench.

Install transmission oil cooler tubes to oil cooler outlet fitting on radiator (if equipped). Tighten to 24-31 N-m (18-23 lb-ft).

9. Connect lower radiator hose to radiator. Tighten clamps securely.

10. Lower vehicle.

11. Install transmission oil cooler tube to oil cooler inlet fitting (if equipped). Tighten to 24-31 N-m (18-23 lb-ft).

12. On 2.5L engine equipped vehicles, install radiator overflow hose to radiator.

13. Connect upper radiator hose to radiator. Tighten clamps securely.

14. Install cooling fan wiring ground cable to RH front fender apron.

15. Position main wiring harness.

16. Install main wiring harness retaining push pins to fan shroud and connect main wiring harness to retainer brackets located at top of fan shroud.

17. On 2.5L engine equipped vehicles, connect wiring harness connector to A/C cycling switch.

18. Connect battery ground cable.

19. Fill engine cooling system as outlined.

Last edited by Tony2005; 01/23/06 04:34 AM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Note:

The two (on my '95) fan shroud bolts have square heads that slip sideways into the radiator mount pockets. And are those fun to remove after rusting up!

95 Contour, 2.0L, stick, 178K mi.
T
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
T
my cooling fan has started to make a squeeking noise. Ford wants $255.00 for a new one. I got one on Ebay for $70.00. It's a new after market one. I hope it is a good one.

95 Contour, 2.0L
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Did you fix the fan, your low speed resistor is likely bad, or a bad wire goes to it.

B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
I am goin o try it this weekend i wanna say thank you guys for all your time and help it is greatly appreciated, thnx for exlaining in detail also i know that mst of took time to type so thank you very much : )
p.s. i will let you know how it goes!

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
You're welcome

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard