Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Z
OP Offline
Z
I have a 98 V6 Duratec 2.5 Ford Contour SE...

Within the last month I have had to replace my electical box inside the car, my waterpump/belt..Last night I was driving home and my battery light began to blink at the same time my overdrive light began to blink. The car was struggling when I accelerated. I unplugged my battery cables for starters to reset the battery..but the car is still struggling when I make a turn etc. Is this my transimission?-or something less serious? To make matters worse my brake lights do not turn off which causes my battery to die every now and then. Could this all be related? Thanks!

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by zero4269:
.. Is this my transimission?-or something less serious? To make matters worse my brake lights do not turn off which causes my battery to die every now and then. Could this all be related? Thanks!

Welcome. . This is all related, yes, but nothing to do with your transmission.

The cause of your problems is the battery and/or alternator dying.

Battery test. Engine off, lights on for one minute, should be 12 to 12.5 volts across battery terminals.

Alternator test. Engine running, should be 14 to 14.5 volts across the battery terminals.

Your brake lights are not turning off and this is causing the battery to drain. Check the switch by the brake pedal, it could be stuck or came off. In addition, check the wiring to make sure there is no short.

When the battery is almost dead, it does funny things to the electricals, wipers coming on, hazard lights coming on, instrument panel lights coming on,.... you get the picture.

Last edited by Tony2005; 01/16/06 01:04 AM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard