Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
H
I did a search on battery reloaction and came up with a few good tidbits, and the faq is cool but lacks the pics (I am a visual guy), so I still have a few questions.

I know a lot of you turbo guys have done battery relocations, so hopefully you can help me.

Is it better to run the battery cables under the chassis or in the cabin, and what did you do and why?

Should I run both ground and power wires or just run a power wire and bolt a short ground to the trunk?

Where in the trunk is the best place to put the battery and how (details) did you mount it?

To semi-answer my own questions, I would think it would be better to run the wires in the cabin cause it seems easier. I also think it would be fine to bolt a short ground to the trunk area, but some seem to think this would cause a difference of ground from the rear to the front of the car. As far as mounting, I am a little worried about drilling holes in the trunk or drilling anywhere in the trunk, but maybe I'll have to.

Oh, and if you want to flame me for something I said or something I made a mistake on just PM it to me.
I really just want to learn cause I dont have that much experience but I enjoy working on my CSVT.

Thanks CEG.

1998 SVT + Goodies Hal's How To's
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Most people mount the battery on the far right to offset the weight of the driver. Run the shortest lengh ground to the trunk(but make sure the ground is the same gauge as the power). The sape tire well makes a good spot. Make sure to scrape the paint off were its gonna be grounded. I ran 4gauge wire thru the car(i already had it there from my stereo amp. Alot of people(well respected) suggest using big welding cable. Myself and at least 2 others i know run 4gauge and its works fine. In regards to how to mount the batt. Go to pepboys etc. they have batt. boxes that use a strap. to hold the batt box down, Very easy to mount.

98 csvt t-red.. sho-shop intake, b&m, fidanza, spec1 clutch, Torsen, DMD,optimized Y& TB, Brullen, rear strut bar,h&r's,17" konig traffik's. "I say what I mean and I do what i say"
K
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
K
Im going to run my wires through my new subframe connectors. Ill put some hose around the wire in case the welds want to rub through the insulation, but they will be nice and protected from road debris in there.

Funny, I was reading through all those old threads last night.

#4559 of 6535 born on Feb 17, 1998 Black 1998.5 CSVT FOR SALE [cleaning house]: SVT rear swaybar. Reasonable offer and its yours!
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
I ran mine inside the car through the firewall under the washer wiper cowl. From there through the channel that runs from the front to the back. The holes at either end are perfect size for 0 gauge.

I used a Phoenix Gold ground terminal to ground in the trunk along with some dilectric grease.

Installed an Optima red top in a tray in the passenger side corner.

Installed a breaker to allow me to cut the electricity without having to unhook the battery (very convenient).

I have brand new Streetwires firewall bushing (1/0 gauge) and Phoenix Gold ground terminal to sell if anyone is interested.

The only way you'll get flamed for asking questions is if they are untelligble gibberish, one liners "what body kits are there?" or "I want to install a BOV, but not the turbo" types. Your post is just fine.

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by KingpinSVT:
Im going to run my wires through my new subframe connectors. Ill put some hose around the wire in case the welds want to rub through the insulation, but they will be nice and protected from road debris in there.

Funny, I was reading through all those old threads last night.

Sounds pretty badass chris, Might have to gank your idea!

Alex '99 SVT Contour -=|WANTED: Vortech, working or not |=-
S
Captain Impound Boy
Captain Impound Boy
S
Thats how my first SHO Had the 0/2 gauge run, threw the SFC's

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by GTO Pete:
or "I want to install a BOV, but not the turbo"

hahaha, i remember that guy. Some newbrooks

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
I have the how-to with pictures made in to a PDF.. I'll email it if you pm me your email addy.

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

K
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
K
I was looking through the Knu website the other day and the distribution blocks that were used in the how to are no longer sold. The how to may need to be updated with suitable replacements.

#4559 of 6535 born on Feb 17, 1998 Black 1998.5 CSVT FOR SALE [cleaning house]: SVT rear swaybar. Reasonable offer and its yours!
H
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
H
As soon as I do the relocation, I will put it in the queue for my How-To website. I just got the exhaust install up last night. I like to try and take pics in detail and step-by-step.

Also, all the pics I take can be used for the official CEG how-to if you'll want 'em.

Ray, thanks for the pdf file. I will PM you.

1998 SVT + Goodies Hal's How To's
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard