Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
dragan Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi to all,

I'm new in Vancouver (new in Canada actually), got my Contour (97 sport) couple months ago, and I need some decent service, as it seems that catalytic converter is broken, and some regular service as well.

Been in 'Coastal Ford' service in Lougheed Hwy, and I don't want to see them ever again...got $500 bill for oil/sparks/filters change, and for telling me that they need $2500 to fix my catalytic converters (that's for all 3 of them - they believe it's bank 1, but 'strongly recomend' to replace all of them, and then I'll have no problems for sure!!!), as apparently that is the reason for 'check engine' light.
They finally established that after I went there for the 3rd time...

So if anybody can recomend me some mechanic who is not ford dealer preferably, where I can get that replaced (I need to replace brake pads as well), and as well where I can by that converter I'll really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Dragan

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Here is the thing lots of people do. It is the cheapest and you get a little more power I guess. As for the main cat you will need to keep it for emission purposes.
-tropictour

2000 Contour SVT Tropic Green SHO Shop CAI Bassani 1999 Contour SE BAT Kit
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Welcome! Another Vancouverite CEG'r, sweet. How did you hear of this site? As for myself, I take my contour to a local shop right where I live. It's called Brian's Auto Service. I find they do good work and I know a few people there so I can always watch the work they do and trust them. Once again, welcome!

Adrian 1999 CSVT, Tropic Green #1925/2760 Bosal Exhaust / B&M Shifter / Quad projector 4300K HID
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
I live near Coastal Ford on Main and 17th...I have had great service from them....with Brown Bros on Marine, it's a bit different. Brown Bros does have a dedicated SVT mechanice you can talk to though....when you go to these dealerships, it pays to know exactly what you need to be done,otherwise they will want to do a diagnostic test (+$100)...and they may not even be part of the problem...for speed work, I can give you a garage that did my headwork, installed my limited slip, DF clutch and other engine related work...

Dan

2000 Black SVT #2639/2760; w/18 OZ Superleggera's, Pirelli Pzero Nero. MSDS Headers,Quaife LSD, CF DF, Borla,,chipped,DMD,Baer Track rotors. Lowered/HR and Koni's; HPP & OMP 3L Valves w/ P&P Heads (thanks Kinger!)
D
dragan Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks guys,

I found this site while searching for service/parts, unfortunatelly after I went to dealership...

>for speed work, I can give you a garage that did my headwork, installed my limited slip, DF clutch and other engine related work...

Dan, can you give me address/tel of that garage? Will they 'gut' my pre-cat, and install that MIL eliminator, as it seems that's what everybody is doing? I'm not really into fixing car myself...

Thanks
Dragan

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
It's been a couple of years since I had any work done by these guys: Flat Six Motorwerks, 5590 Lane St (in Burnaby behind Kingsway & Macpherson, near Fitness World)....604 916 2286..

for the amount of trouble to gut your pre-cats, you may as well get the MSDS headers installed....you probably can pick up some used ones....it's a tough job (4 to 6 hours) so you may want to combine it with any other engine work you are planning on getting down...

2000 Black SVT #2639/2760; w/18 OZ Superleggera's, Pirelli Pzero Nero. MSDS Headers,Quaife LSD, CF DF, Borla,,chipped,DMD,Baer Track rotors. Lowered/HR and Koni's; HPP & OMP 3L Valves w/ P&P Heads (thanks Kinger!)
D
dragan Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks Dan,

Is there any real problem to just keep driving car with check engine light on appart from not knowing if something else goes wrong?

I don't see any problem with car, except maybe fuel consumption (I drive it parctically 99% of time just short town distances, and it's about 15 L/100km) but then I don't know how much it suppose to be...
Car has only 105,000 kms, and looks perfectly in order to me, so i have no plans to do any work on it, and I don't really like to start fixing something that's not broken..

Dragan

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Prob not...remember the big part of the CEL's is for emmissions control....I had a CEL going because of an improperly calibrated MAF...otherwise the car ran great, perhaps a little rich...I've given up worrying about gas mileage along time ago..

LMK how you make out with the garage...it's been about 2 years since I had any work done (they did my head re/re after they were ported and polished)....the mechanic's name is Dan..

O
ODC Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
O
Try hoeglers muffler city for your downpipe stuff, they're apparantly good.

Moderated by  kerrychin_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard