Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Myrosia Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
I want to replace my spark plugs. What are the best replacements for the best gas mileage?

Should I stay with Motorcraft OEM? Or the Autolite Platinum? What's the difference between single and double platinum?

I have a 1999 Ford Contour L4-122 2.0L DOHC SFI.

Thanks!

Mary

Ps. I have 100K miles, what's the best fuel treatment to clean the entire fuel system?

Last edited by Myrosia; 01/10/06 02:42 PM.
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
double platium is the way to go.

They are "double" platium as in two layers of platium. It is to make them last longer, and provide slightly better spark for the beging part of their life.

Don't forget antiseize and di-grease.

Check your autoparts store for packets before getting suckered into buying a bottle I own a 12 oz bottle of antiseize which will last me after death.

1998 SE Duratec V6 ATX Ebay intake with K&N Filter Trubendz Exhaust Custom Hood
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
duh forget fuel system.

-Replace fuel filter, search its on here, not hard, but watch your eyes.

-replace air filter

-You're doing plugs, maybe wires if they aren't in good shape

-fuel injector cleaner

thats probably the best start right there.

1998 SE Duratec V6 ATX Ebay intake with K&N Filter Trubendz Exhaust Custom Hood
M
Myrosia Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
Thanks for the respone!

Although, you didn't suggest to go witg Motorcraft or Autolites?

Also, my lifters are making noise like clicking noise. How to I clean the lifters form sticking?

S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
when was the last time you had your oil changed. if its been a while have it changed. the lifters tend to click/tap when the oil is old and dirty.

97 contour gl mtx front & rear upper strut tower braces 19mm bat sway bar Koni struts w/GC knockoffs
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
New plugs/wires
fuel filter
Transmission flush
Air filter
Cleaning of MAF sensor
Oil change
Proper inflated tires

Thats about it.....good luck.

"Do what you like, Because you have to drive it!"-Me 99 Contour LX 95 Mustang GT Convertible 97 Z24 Cavalier
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by ZeroHour:
double platium is the way to go.

They are "double" platium as in two layers of platium. It is to make them last longer . . .

Double platinum means that there is a platinum disc on both the center wire and side wire. Double platinum is essentual on your type of ignition system. The platinum tip is needed on the firing tip. Half of the cylinders fire the plugs in the conventional manner from the center wire to the side wire, and half the opposite from the side wire to the center wire. The original factory plugs had two different pat numbers, both single platinum, one part number with the center wire platinum disc and the other part number with the platinum disc on the side wire. To make the replacement plug "idiot proof" so that you could not accidently install the wrong plug in the wrong hole, they use a platinum disc on both the side wire and the center wire.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
M
Myrosia Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
Ok...then if they are only for extended life of the plug. I don't care about double platinum then. I can buy the Autolite single platinum for half much cheaper.

Ie.

Single platinum: 6 plugs for $8
Double platinum: 6 plugs for $24

Since I already invested so much money in the car this past year, I will go with the single.

Ps. FYI, I just replaced the O2 sensor upstream and it cost $130. I also use the Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic oil...another costy investment. I have new wires, ect ect.

In addition, I still get that ticking noise. It sounds like the lifter(s) are sticking, how do I correct that without major overhaul?

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Myrosia:
Single platinum: 6 plugs for $8
Double platinum: 6 plugs for $24

Next change of plugs at 200k, priceless.

Why the f--- are you sweating $16 friggen dollars for something that should last 4 or more years versus something that could cause problems in mere months?

Originally posted by Myrosia:
Ps. FYI, I just replaced the O2 sensor upstream and it cost $130. I also use the Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic oil...another costy investment. I have new wires, ect ect.

If you don't like having to do maintenance maybe you should take the bus

Your car has 100k miles, it REQUIRES maintenance.

-- 1999 SVT #220 -- In retrospect, it was all downhill from here. RIP, CEG.
M
Myrosia Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
bigMoneyRacing...I appreciate you responding but not in that tone of voice.

FYI, I have the Motorcraft platinum right now. The original from when I bought the car. They have 100K miles on them right now....hmm...any problems?? NO....priceless...yes, I think so. They merely need to be replaced per maintainence!!!

In addition, perhaps $16 in nothing to you...but for some of us other unfortunates, every penny counts. Obviously, you've never gone hungry!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard