OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
1996 contour GL 2.0

Replaced heater hose
drained the cooling system
replaced cooling temp sensor
water pump is good

my car is having overheating problem, It having hard time starting, and when it does lots of white smoke comming out of the exhaust pipe, my system runs cool for like 15 mins of driving where then it starts to reach red peak. My heater works first 15 minutes and then when car starts to over heat it dies (NO HEAT) .
did anyone had to go through this b4 or something similar? let me know please its my second day tryin gto figure out whast the problem. Now im beginning to think its the blown head gasket and leaking antifreeze or it just burns it out through exhaust pipe. thanks guys

1996 GL 2.0 16V Zetec DOHC AIM s/n- DJWhiterussian
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
Sounds like a head gasket. How is your oil looking?

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
White smoke means that water is getting into your engine. I had a similar problem w/ the smoke and hard start. I had a warped head gasket not a blown one (originally thought it was.) It cost 5 Franklins to repair and I'm in the process of getting my money back from Ford that caused my engine to over-work itself and causing it to over-heat and thus warping the gasket. The best thing to do is find the problem and fix it or take it strait to a repair shop.

My ride(Cardomain link) : '95 Contour 16V Zetec DOHC, Teal , ATX Born on Sep. 4, 1995 86+ miles *LEDs mods are on their way!*
Z
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
my oil looks fine it has about 800 miles untill i need to change it and it looks like its fine you know dark and thick. only thing is i think its over filled bc my level if higher that it shown on the stick. other than that its all good

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by Kerry2Kool4U:
White smoke means that water is getting into your combustion chamber(s)

You're burning off the coolant if you have white smoke. If so, you will likely have a head gasket problem.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
Z
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
if the head gasket is hte problem
would you recomend replacing whole engine or just replacing or head gasket
considering that engine is like 150 bucks at the pick a part.
would labor cost alot
im paying 25 bucks an hour

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Have your current engine checked. It is an iron block so I don't expect any warpage or other really serious damage. A new head gasket & you should be fine, but get it carefully looked at first. That inspection will tell you for sure if you need a new engine, and GET PICTURES of the damage. Don't just take some guys word for it, check it out yourself & get input from others.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
he imed me last night on aim asking what the problems where i forgot the list of things i told him to check he had said he had done those. then i said well take it to the shop and have it checked out. then his reply was boy that tells me alot you sure know lot about these cars and told me i wasnt tellin him anything. i said either take it to the shop and have it checked out or fix it yourself or either junk the sob i try to help but if thats gonna be his reply back to me or a thanks to me i dont care what he does.

1999 Ford Contour SE Zetec with 137k miles. AIM Name: ContourAlf Yahoo IM: Contour_Freak
Z
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
dude i apreciate all the help youve given me and youve all been helpful.
But when i ask a question and you reply with
"take it to the shop or junk it"
then im thinking to my self" why would i AIM you? So i can get the answet that my little brother know to.
Sorry dude but i thought that this website was for people to troubleshoot you and share common problems and how htey fixed it, and not which shop they took their car to.
Youve all been great help honestly guys i really apreciate all of you
My problem still lives on!!!

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
um no i told you to take it to the shop then your like that tells me alot you sure know lot about these cars then i said either take it to the shop or junk it. lets drop it here.

1999 Ford Contour SE Zetec with 137k miles. AIM Name: ContourAlf Yahoo IM: Contour_Freak
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard