Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Hi, I recently installed water injection into a turbocharged duratec 3.0 v6. I have heard some good and bad things about running WI on these engines. I was wondering if anyone here has water injection on their turbocharged 3.0s and what experience you have had with them.

Eloy Smoothlinez Auto Salon
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
PM Stazi, unless he sees this post before you get to him. He has water injection on his turbocharged 2.5L(soon to be 3.0L) SVT. He's had a lot of success with his.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
I just bought a kit for my SRT-4. Its sitting behind me right now in the box it came in. I gotta find the time to install it and my wideband. I've never read anything overly negative about W/I on any motor though. Nothing that would convince me not to do it anyhow. My kit will also work with alcohol...as most will with proper lines and what not.

'03 SRT-4 50 trim turbo + support
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I have had a lot of experience with water injection.

Let's cover a few basics. First the pro side. Water injection tends to cool the cylinder intake air charge. In that respect it is a little like an intercooler. The cooler charge is denser and thus will provide more power. There is also more power from the water turning to steam. The cooler charge also allows for more ignition timing advance and can contribute to additional power. It also tends to keep carbon from forming in the combustion chambers.

Now the con side. Water injection can be hard to control. Too heavy and it can contribute to engine wear or even severe engine damage. It can contribute to corrosion to intake components. Anyone that has done much heavy engine work knows that an engine that has been run very long with a mildly blown head gasket knows that the cylinder wear on any wet cylinders can be tremendous. Cylinder wear is almost a thing of the past on today's engines. It is not uncommon to find nearly no wear or taper on and engine with well over 100,000 miles. Thirty or forty years ago such an engine often had 10 to 20 thousands of an inch of wear by that time. A cylinder that is injesting water can get that much wear in a few thousand miles.

If not properly controlled water injection may not do much good. The systems that provide water when engine vacuum is high and little or not water whan vacuum is low doesn't do much more than help keep carbon buildup down.

Systems that provide water injection during load may help to reduce ping and provide all of the benefits mentioned above, but it can be tricky to determine the correct flow. Such systems cannot depend on engne vacuum to draw in the water, but must have a small pump as well as a means to meter the flow according to demand.

Most of my involvement was with motorhomes and trucks that pulled RV trailers. Remember that 25 to 30 years ago, there was not as much control over ignition timing. Water injection was used to cut ping pulling heavy grades. It worked, but I most certainly had mixed feelings about using it.

It is also important to have some failsafe systems built in. I remember more than one vehicle that drained the water tank into the crankcase due to some sort of malfunction as well as the water tank being mounted too high.

I remember reading about a lengthly study a few years ago showing the smog benefits of water injection. They showed that carefully controlled water injection not only generated additional power, but could eliminate the need for an EGR system.

Water injection is sometimes used on jet engines. Such aircraft are sometimes called "water wagons". Agressive water injection provides a lot of additional thrust and can be used for supplimentry power for take off. The water doesn't last long though, and when it runs out, the drop in thrust is so dramatic that a pilot using it for the first time may think his engines stalled.

Water/alcohol injection was factory equipment on the early 60's Olds F-85 with the optional turbo engine. It was used to eliminate ping under boost. The engine had the same compression ratio as the non turbo engine. Although timing was retarded under boost, it wasn't enough. The system didn't allow boost unless there was fluid in the water injection tank.

No mater what, adding water injection adds considerable complexity to engine management.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Some good stuff there.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
WOW! I had no friggin' Idea...

(* scratches water injection off the list *)

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
I don't think that means you shouldn't run it....it isn't rocket science. Just need to take the knowledge and build a good system. Contact Stazi.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
K
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
K
BlackwidowSVT is also using water injection on his turbo 2.5 as well. Most of the s/c SHO guys in Denver are using W/I as well with success.

#4559 of 6535 born on Feb 17, 1998 Black 1998.5 CSVT FOR SALE [cleaning house]: SVT rear swaybar. Reasonable offer and its yours!
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
My 1963 Ford Fairlane wagon with a 2bbl 221ci V8 had water injection from the factory.

it was as simple as a mayonaise jar with a small hose that ran up to the carb.

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I run a mix of alcohol and water through a modified Spearco system. It allows me to run ~12psi of boost with no pinging (and no intercooler). Lets just say that with the water injection I was able to extract about another 25hp form my system than I was getting without it.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard