I was in the Silver E-Zero that was there last year, but not there this year... if I recall, I let Dion borrow some detailing supplies!

The show is actually a reunion, though it has three memorial trophies...

The first is to honor one of the founders, Johna Pepper. His background is that he had been involved in Ford corporate, as well as really making the show what it was in its early years. It was my conversation with him in 1988 which made me come to the show in the first place and I've only missed one in the 18 years since because I was out of the country. The Johna Pepper Memorial Award goes to a favorite pick by a celebrity judge. Last year it was Carroll Shelby who picked Hank William's all-original Cobra. Often it goes to a celebrated marque.

The second is to honor Bill Stroppe. If you don't know who Bill Stroppe is, you're probably younger than 30 or maybe even 40. Stroppe built and raced Lincolns and Mercurys in the '50s and '60s on oval tracks as well as Daytona Beach (when it was really on the beach). He also prepped cars for such legends as Parnelli Jones. Eventually he and Parnelli raced Broncos together as well as trucks in the legendary desert races. Stroppe's shop also prepped every Pantera that landed on these shores before they were sold at Lincoln-Mercury dealers nationwide... he also was very involved in Ford corporate and the early days of the show. Usually his son, Willie, selects a favorite Bronco or truck.

The third award is to honor George Watts, who headed the show for over a decade after Johna's passing. While George was recognized for many of his community service contributions, unique Ford vehicles owned (including the first EXP), he was likely best known as being the owner and restorer of the first T-Bird ever built, so it is only fitting that there is an award for him which usually goes to a favorite Bird selected by his family.

After that, with over 50 classes and nearly 2000 cars, who would even attempt to try to organize a voting team.

Really the beauty of the event is its "run what you got" theme... if it's not painted, at least wash it and come back next year so we can see the progress that's been made. Probably one of the neatest things you can do is be at the gate, where I was this year helping to direct traffic... almost no better way to see the show standing in one place!

Plan for April of '07, somewhere in the middle of the month, and of course, it won't be on Easter. We should have a date at www.fordcarclubs.org around September, and registration forms online in by late January. Register early.

1998 SVT Contour Silver Frost