Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by KnuKonceptz:
I was hoping to see the 96# was a typo for a 36#....LOL. PLEASE Listen to Warmonger and Stazi, its not like they have built a turbo car or three.......

Yeah no kidding...

BTW Tom that was the greatest post ever!

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Thanks. I've been slacking on my posts and getting really soft hearted on some newbies these days.. But good God, I couldn't believe that last bit!
I also want to point out...I wasn't the first to do a lot of that stuff I mentioned! I've done my share, but there's lots of stuff I took/stole/begged/borrowed from other smart dudes that made up CEG of the past and present.
I spent hours learning the basic Tuning knowledge about all the tables and functions for my SCT PRP package from DemonSVT! Props to him!! (even though he's a crotchety old fart sometimes ) and though I could have done it on my own, I did it quicker and safer with his help and I didn't risk my engine during the learning phase.
And Yes, Terry Haines has helped me out along the way in the past with all his MTX75 transmission knowledge too.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
My questions is who was THE first to do a 3L swap? Airknight was one of the first I think...at least the first 95 3L.

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
I thought is was Ray McNairy....RIP. He died from cancer IIRC.
Then I know there was Bnoon and DavidZ. There maybe others but they were the ones I remember. There were several people working on it at once IIRC, and lets not forget the SloShop!

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
C
CSVT#49 Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
C
So if I where to put a turbo system on my car and leave the engines internals as is with the 10:1 compression and were to run say 7-8psi I would be more then fine and have no reason to worry if I had the system tuned correctly?

I'm looking to keep my car a reliable daily driver and still have the capability of putting up some pretty decent competition with a potential of producing 250-300fwhp?

I wouldn't be just putting on a turbo system either I would also be upgrading to 24#? injectors, MSDS headers, port matching the UIM & LIM, bigger TB & MAF, etc.

Basically I would like this car to last me at least another 70k or more.

-Mike 98 Contour SVT Toreador Red #49 of 6535 Built on 3/25/97 WR Headers, Borla Cat-Back, Torsen T2 LSD, K&N Short Ram, S-AFC and Focus Shift Tower 85 Camaro 1969 358ci, 97 TA interior, 91 Z28 GrdEfx and Aero Wing 255rwhp
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Check out the link to my "Custom E0" in my sig, it has a dyno of my 3L in a semi-tuned state. They shut the run down early because of a misfire I was having, so didn't run it all the way to redline. If they had, I'd likely have hit 270HP +/- at the front wheels, on only 3.5psi.

I'll have my car broken in and back for the final tuning within a month from now. It should be interesting what I get at the same psi, and when I turn the boost up for the "dyno queen run" @ 12psi (IF that much)....

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by Swazo:
Check out the link to my "Custom E0" in my sig, it has a dyno of my 3L in a semi-tuned state. They shut the run down early because of a misfire I was having, so didn't run it all the way to redline. If they had, I'd likely have hit 270HP +/- at the front wheels, on only 3.5psi.

I'll have my car broken in and back for the final tuning within a month from now. It should be interesting what I get at the same psi, and when I turn the boost up for the "dyno queen run" @ 12psi (IF that much)....

It can handles 12 psi.

I know I know...you put a TON of work into it but C'MON ()

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I'm going to turn the boost up, but in small amounts and in a controlled enviroment I really don't want to blowm y car up anytime soon

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by warmonger:
I thought is was Ray McNairy....RIP. He died from cancer IIRC.
Then I know there was Bnoon and DavidZ. There maybe others but they were the ones I remember. There were several people working on it at once IIRC, and lets not forget the SloShop!

Ray had the idea first among the mailing list members. (Dave Z did it first, then Brad) He also had ideas & a mock up for modifying the larger SVT LIM to his 95's vacuum setup. (since done) Then the TH fix of course. Then the occasional arguing with the granny hitting old lady was always worth a few chuckles. The best thing he brought was his patience and attitude. We all could probably learn something on that front. RIP Ray...

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Well, I lurked around during Rays time but I wasn't participating. I didn't really participate heavy until early 2000. By summer 2000 I was deep into prepping my 3L hybrid. So I really came right after his time.

If the order was DavidZ and Bnoon, then I must have been really close to Brad's time in 3L production. I went a different route then both David and Brad, and David had those one-off cams and worked heads, Brad had the SE conversion el-cheapo special...with an eRam blower! Hahaha.
I fell in the middle with worked heads, combustion chambers, etc. Hehe, the best thing I did was actually fully documenting stuff and pop it up on the web. I can't tell how much traffic my old 3L webpage got in the early days. I had emails from all over the world on that one. Still got some contacts in Taiwan with a guy who's still in progress on a 3L swap that I help him out on. Maybe my claim to fame has been sort of applying a "research and publish" type of mentality to the configurations so that everything was getting tried and documented.

Oh yeah, Airknight was later, but it was the first 95 3L swap.

Last edited by warmonger; 01/06/06 01:02 PM.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard