Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Check your grounds like Rager was saying...

A ground issue will cause SO many headaches!

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
Have gone and done that already thank you though

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I dunno dude... unless the Alternator you put in has a bad voltage regulator.

What brand (i.e. where'd ya get it)?

I had 6 remans go bad from O'Reilly's, one after another in a timespan of 3-4 months. By the time I got to #7 (the good one) I could R&R it in less than 10mins.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
i dont know the alternater is not going up and down it stays at 14.5 running and off its 12.5

and the alternater is a autolight from checkers

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Ok... I'm remembering something now on my old 96...

When it would first start, it would run rough and the lights would flicker and such until I hit the gas, which caused it to run smoother.

Is your car running rough?

Does the flicker stop if you rev the engine?

You never answered how the flicker was... Is is the lights going bright/dim/bright/etc like if you were playing with a dimmer switch, or is it harsh?

Did this just start after you installed the new Alternator?

Does your alternator have a lifetime warranty?

Last edited by Kane; 01/02/06 06:35 AM.

B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
Aaaaa this started about 2 years ago when the battery and alternater went at the same time. I put a new batery and alternater on it. The battery came from ford and the alternater from Checkers.

The lights flicker as if they were like strobe lights at a party.

and yes it has a lifetime warenty I have replaced it about 3 time since because of this problem and bought a other battery

and no the flicker gets worse when at a higher rev but let off and it starts to clam but won't.

Last edited by bscontour; 01/02/06 06:44 AM.
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by bscontour:
Have gone and done that already thank you though

Cough cough. You've pulled the two grounds on the headlights, cleaned the paint off, greased the area and bolted the grounds back down? And pulled the battery and cleaned that chassis ground as well? And the ground underneath the power steering reservoir?

Ford's idea of a ground to chassis, is bolting a tinned cable end, to paint , with a dry bolt. Baaad Gimshee.

My point: checking with the voltmeter was a start. If there's 30 wires in a cable, and they're all corroded except for one, the voltmeter will give you a fair reading.

Same for any cable, if all the wires are broken except for one, the volts will read, but it won't carry a -load-.

95 Contour, 2.0L, stick, 178K mi.
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
Well, I just found out if I mess with the alternater wires the flickering will stop but if I shut off the car and start it up it will start flickering again. Could it be a bad alternater or what.

I've had it tested by checkers and Autozone and every other place I could think of and they say every thing is fine as far as the alternater charging and battary but they don't know why it flickers a bad as it does. I am gong to spend a lot of money and take it to the Ford dealer ship to have this problem sovled at once.

This car is worth fighting for!!!

and yes I even tested it my self as in starting it with the a volt meter and it is ok the battary is 12.5, then crank it it stays there, next its starts then charges at 14.5

Last edited by bscontour; 01/03/06 05:00 AM.
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Umm... sounds like either the connections at the alternator are corroded or they are loose inside, so they aren't making a good connection.

B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
I have replaced them and grease them to with electral grease.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard