Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
I have a 96 Contour GL 16v 2.0 Zetec I4 Automatic with a problem. See I get in the car and start it up it never use to turn about 4 cranks to start and when it starts the lights in and out of the car start to flicker(dim and brighten).

Things that I replaced:
IAC(Idle air control valve)
Alternater
Alternader plugs(wiring to alternater)
Battery
Belts
Tensioner
Idler pulley
Crankshaft pulley

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
A slight flicker to the interior lights seems to be normal when the door is open (my Dad's new Toyota does it worse than my Mystique). Check battery voltage while car is running, you could have a problem with connections, corrosion, if the voltage is wildly fluctuating. The voltage should be 13.8-14.8, if much higher the alternator is 0vercharging, if around 12.8 or less, it's not charging.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
do they flicker, or "dim and brighten" as the idle surges up/down 50-100 rpms? if it's the latter, then it isn't a problem, and man, you wasted a bunch of money

1995 SE 2.5L V6/MTX 187k
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by platinum_drew:
do they flicker, or "dim and brighten" as the idle surges up/down 50-100 rpms? if it's the latter, then it isn't a problem, and man, you wasted a bunch of money

entirely agree, there is nothing wrong. Every car is going to do that, when the RPM's go up on the engine the alternator's RPM's go up with it, in term when the alternator spins faster more power is generated. Which would cause the lights to get brighter.

So you did waste quite a bit of money. Welcome to CEG, and in the future, if you have a problem. Before you dump a lot of cash into it, give us a shout, we can save you a hell of a lot of money. Not to sound rude or anything.

Last edited by AliasJerk; 12/29/05 03:24 PM.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by AliasJerk:
Originally posted by platinum_drew:

entirely agree, there is nothing wrong. Every car is going to do that, when the RPM's go up on the engine the alternator's RPM's go up with it, in term when the alternator spins faster more power is generated. Which would cause the lights to get brighter.

So you did waste quite a bit of money. Welcome to CEG, and in the future, if you have a problem. Before you dump a lot of cash into it, give us a shout, we can save you a hell of a lot of money. Not to sound rude or anything.

quite honestly, I never thought I'd see you post on CEG again

1995 SE 2.5L V6/MTX 187k
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Quite honestly, I didn't think that would be any of your business.

this post can stay on topic, now.

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by bscontour:
I have a 96 Contour GL 16v 2.0 Zetec I4 Automatic with a problem. See I get in the car and start it up it never use to turn about 4 cranks to start and when it starts the lights in and out of the car start to flicker(dim and brighten).

I'm in the middle of doing a clutch on mine.

The main battery to chassis ground is under the battery.

There're also grounds at each headlight bucket. The main computer ground, the harness behind the power steering reservoir, is on that right hand side behind the reservoir.

I think the threads of the bolts provide the actual grounding.

95 Contour, 2.0L, stick, 178K mi.
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
I checked the volts on batt when car is running the batt is 14.5 not going up or down when car off its 12.5 and battery cables are clean.

Last edited by bscontour; 01/02/06 05:45 AM.
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
They flicker as in dim and brighten fast but the motor is going 770-840 rpm

B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
Sorry man this car never did this, dont get me wrong, yes every car will do that but my lights are like a strobe lights the higher the rpms the faster they flash the lower they still flash but hey I dont think i wasted my money because the car has 152k on so those parts woud have gone sooner or later lol.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard