Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Have just done swapping the sucker out. It developed a crack some months ago in the case casting causing the rotor to grind against the stator making a horrible noise.

A ton of thanks to Ray! Without being inspired and encouraged by his how-to I wouldn't have gone ahead to take the challenge.

I'd like to also share a bit of what I experienced during the job and hope it can help those of you who may want to tackle this, as well as some tooling options that I found worked for me.

1) 13mm socket: this is for the two larger bolts that hold the alternator to its bracket. I found a 1/2" socket, instead, works better for me, especially for the bolt in the upper location where I have very limited wrench wiggle space between the firewall and the rear timing cover, barely enough for one ratchet click. A 1/2" socket is 0.3mm smaller than a 13mm one, and it fits the bolt head almost snug, transferring that 0.3mm play to more effective wrench wiggle travel. I was using a flex-head ratchet wrench to deal with the upper 13mm bolt, and it performed very well in finding the maximum travel. It has a long enough handle too, and no extension was needed.

2) lower 13mm bolt removal/install: I basically followed Ray's approach, except that I was using a combination of wobble extensions and was not using any U-joints. A U-joint tends to make a train of extensions harder to handle, IMO. To tighten that bolt, a smaller combination of ratchet-6"-3"-13mm socket will suffice if you're using wobble extensions. First reach and fit the socket onto the bolt, then attach the wrench to the rear end of the extension.

3) 10mm bolt removal: I didn't use a train of extensions to remove/install the 10mm bolt on the back of the alternator. I managed to approach that bolt with a 1/2"-drive breaker bar (as it has a longer handle than a 3/8" one) from right underneath and break it loose with a 10mm socket, then slide my left hand in there and remove the bolt with a tiny gear wrench (4" long) fitted with a 10mm socket.

The car purrs like a kitty again!

1997 Contour Sport Duratec MTX 2000 Olds Intrigue GLS Sterling Edition
L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
so how long did it take you to do.

2000 contour V6 ATX BAT suspension kit, k&n filter, SVT TB, SVT UIM, SVT LIM, MSDS headers, MSDS Y-pipe, SVT dual exhaust, Custum burned ADC chip, 7000k HID's, 200 amp HO alt, custom gauges, and 17" rims
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
It took me total about 12 hours in two days, from loosening the wheel lug nuts to finishing cleaning up the garage floor. 80% of the time were spent on finding the ways to approach the lower mounting bolts, especially the 10 mm one, and experimenting with the extension combinations as well. My extension set doesn't come with the sizes as Ray's how-to recommended, and U-joints were definitely not friends of mine.

1997 Contour Sport Duratec MTX 2000 Olds Intrigue GLS Sterling Edition

Link Copied to Clipboard