Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
In the past 6 months I have twice changed the spark plug in the #3 cylinder of my 96GL. Both times the car would show symptoms of a misfire for quite a while (2 months) before it would throw a CEL. Each time the #3 plug showed visible signs of arcing and upon replacement the car drives fine. I guess my question is what could cause this to happen? The wires are off of my SVT and only have about 50K Km on them. The first plug to fail was a six month old Autolite and the second was a used Motorcraft again off of my SVT with about 50K Km on it. When I changed the plug again this weekend I decided to use dielectric grease on the plug insulator and in the plug boot (I did this for all 6) in hopes of solving the problem. Is there a chance that the lack of dielectric grease caused the issue or is the #3 wire gone bad? I should also mention that the reason I changed the factory original wires for my used SVT wires was in an attempt to fix the misfire problem when it first started to happen earlier this year, leading me to believe that the wires are fine. Have a look at the pics of the plugs to see the arcing. Also, is the change in color (tanning) of the insulator outside the cylinder a cause for concern?

99 CSVT Green/Tan # 84 of 2760 Built on Wednesday, September 30, 1998 15.376 @ 92.00 MPH Stock 75,000Km 96 Contour GL 2.5L V6 ATX 170,000Km
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
That exactly happened to me, #2 center rear cylinder, twice. It's good to use silicone dielectric grease in the boot, make sure the sparkplug socket wrench is clean and your hands too. I cleaned out the boot inside, greased, new plug, good so far, we will see after winter. I think dirt on the plug insulator, dampness cause the arcing, it's an easier path than sparking inside the engine! The grease should seal it out. I actually gapped the plugs a little tighter than specified .050 instead of .052. They will spark easier, I think, and the voltage will stay inside the plug! I get the same exact tan rust/heat stain.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
The tan color is often from oil in the spark plug well. Oil in the well can also be the cause of carbon tracking on the upper part of the plug and where it mates to the plug wire boot.

If you do have oil in the plug well, it is usually from the a valve cover gasket leaking.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Get NEW wires, period. The factory wires always go bad and cause misfires, anywhere from 30K+ miles on. THat would be right around your 55000 Km that you are reporting. Yes, there are some sets that last significantly longer but most don't and if you are having ignition problems it is just best to get a new set.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
S
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Thanks for the info guys, maybe I'll buy my wife a set of wires for Christmas .

99 CSVT Green/Tan # 84 of 2760 Built on Wednesday, September 30, 1998 15.376 @ 92.00 MPH Stock 75,000Km 96 Contour GL 2.5L V6 ATX 170,000Km
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Almost all brands seem to fail IMO. The Ford Racing wires are only $45 so why not get something a little better than stock?

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by todras:
Almost all brands seem to fail IMO. The Ford Racing wires are only $45 so why not get something a little better than stock?

Who says FMS wires are better then stock though. There is ZERO prrof to that statement. Matter of fact there are many statements against that very line of thinking. Proof in that is all the posts about early FMS wire failure and misfires.

I'd take stock over FMS just on history alone.

I've had Magnecore on my car for 5 years. That includes R&Ring the plugs and/or wires a good 30 times. That is a testament to the durability of the wires themself and their construction. Their price is definitely quite high now days but their quality is always top notch.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by DemonSVT:

Who says FMS wires are better then stock though. There is ZERO prrof to that statement.

8mm has less resistance than 9mm?

I'd take stock over FMS just on history alone.

What history is that? I had worse luck with OEM than FMS. It's the same on the Mustang boards. Lots have said the FMS sucked and some say they have tried the expensive wires and have had better luck with FMS. Seems kit or miss.

I've had Magnecore on my car for 5 years. That includes R&Ring the plugs and/or wires a good 30 times. That is a testament to the durability of the wires themself and their construction. Their price is definitely quite high now days but their quality is always top notch.

They are great wires. Put em on my brothers '01 Cougar and haven't had any issue with many years of use. For 3 sets of FMS I can have one Magnecore. I'm betting 2 of those 3 will be just fine.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I am a proponent for the FMS wires too.

BTW Todd - the common misunderstanding is that the overall diamter of the wire is proportinal to the resistance - this is WRONG. The conduit is in the very center and is MAYBe 1mm wide at most. the rest of it is just RFI suppressant. So 10mm or 15mm wires won't have any lower resistance than the 8mm wires. That is not to say all wires are the same as the quality of the actual conducting center wire affects the resistance AND some "big" wires have crap insulation which allows arcing and RFI.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
That is not caused buy arcing, it is caused buy blowbuy from the cylder throu the spark plug.
sorry for the spelling

SVT 99 #526 of 2760
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard