Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1462875 12/17/05 02:32 AM
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Have a few questions for the turbo zetec owners out there.

What type of turbo your you using including A/R and trim?
Suggest internal or external wastegated do to space in the bay?
What pressure boost are you guys running?
What did you do about engine management and electronics?
Stock or lower compression pistons?
Other things to consider?

#1462876 12/17/05 03:05 AM
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
i havent finished mine yet but im going to be running a mitsubishi TE04H turbo with an internal wastegate. im going to stay at about 5-7 psi probably.

i will be running stock internals for now. i plan on getting a second engine to rebuild with stronger internals though.

engine management is one of the 2 things that have kept me from finishing it. i would also like to know what the few others are running.

97 contour gl mtx front & rear upper strut tower braces 19mm bat sway bar Koni struts w/GC knockoffs
#1462877 12/17/05 05:22 AM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
The TD05-14B off the 1G DSMs is a good and cheap choice. It supplies 420cfm at 15psi. That's enough to get the Zetec humping.

Remember the Zetec has 9.6 CR so less boost makes more power then a typical turbo engine.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Is that CR 9.6:1 for the stock CR. If so thats pretty low, I thought we had a stock CR that was much higher. I realy wouldn't have to replace my bottom end
(pistons, rods, etc.), I'd just have to get everything resurfaced and replace little stuff(rings, gaskets, bolts, etc.). That would save me about $900+ on parts and laber off top for my upgrade.That's waz up.

Lets start here than, hypothetically speaking, what would be the largest size recomended turbo for the zetec?

I was thinking of getting a Turbonetics T3 turbocharger stage 3 .48 A/R 55 compressor trim. External wastegate

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I would even bother getting an external wastegated turbo if you're gonna run low boost. The Garrett internal wastegated turbos are pretty decent. A 16G would be more than enough to have you in the 300hp territory if you wanted to and they're cheap new - under $550

A .48 A/R turbine housing will spool super fast but will choke up top.

Also look at this spreadsheet to help you size your turbo:
http://www.squirrelpf.com/site/index.php?page=Turbo+Sizing

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
O
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
O
The GT3071R I'm running is about the biggest you can run and still call it "streetable" (it's still gonna be a little laggy).

If your running a integrated WG get this and a decent MBC.

I'm running a NewGen WG and the packaging is pretty much a nightmare. I am in the process of getting the final design of ex mani and DP built right now. I just couldn't live with myself running this turbo on a stock or log style manifold, just too much restriction on flow. Like Stazi said the 16G is nice and its reliable, but the GT28RS will get you even better response and lower intake temps.

Ohsigmachi '96 GL MTX Zetec --I don't won't to hurt you, but it's still on my list of things to do.-- View projectSlippery Slope
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I'm going up to the GT3071R ( I already have it) with my V6 - and you're telling me that you're using it on a ZETEC? You gonna have lag up the wazoo - nice dyno queen turbo for a 2L. I personally think you went too big. It's gonna surge like a MOFO on such a small motor (2.0 Zetec). Streetability will be awful.

I will have my GT28R for sale ( for acheap) for anyone that's interested - it's good for 300hp to the wheels as I have proven.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I wish I had money to even need to worry about sizing a turbo system .

I shoulda bought toms old piping when it was for sale :-[

Alex '99 SVT Contour -=|WANTED: Vortech, working or not |=-
O
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
O
Originally posted by Stazi:
I'm going up to the GT3071R ( I already have it) with my V6 - and you're telling me that you're using it on a ZETEC? You gonna have lag up the wazoo - nice dyno queen turbo for a 2L. I personally think you went too big. It's gonna surge like a MOFO on such a small motor (2.0 Zetec). Streetability will be awful.

I will have my GT28R for sale ( for acheap) for anyone that's interested - it's good for 300hp to the wheels as I have proven.

This turbo has already been run on several zetec foci, with no problems. Yeah it's a little laggy, but I have an extremely good waste gate and a VERY good electronic boost controler. No surge, no spiking for me. Tubular equal length manifold and a 35 direct port shot with a window switch for 2.7K to 4.5K RPM @ WOT will eliminate the lag on the track.

Ohsigmachi '96 GL MTX Zetec --I don't won't to hurt you, but it's still on my list of things to do.-- View projectSlippery Slope
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by Pudmunkie:
I wish I had money to even need to worry about sizing a turbo system .

I shoulda bought toms old piping when it was for sale :-[

You should have. I was offering the manifolds, up-pipe, down-pipe, injectors and chip already tuned (though had to have SFG series code without a reburn) for around $1100.

All you'd have needed would have been the turbo, wastegate, MAF...and then make your intake piping.

Instead I had to parcel the items out individually to sell them.

Seriously, do the math. $1100+ $150 water inj. + $100 maf +$200 for filter/intake pipes + $100-350 tuning device (my chip with reburn or xcal2) + $150 to mate up the exhaust to the downpipe.
EQUALS What about $2000 for a full turbo setup?

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard