Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
Well I changed the UIM/LIM gaskets and I am 99% sure I hooked everything back up right. I also swapped out plugs and wires and put in Bosch Platinum 4205's, which Autozone told me are stock replacements, as well as the Bosch website.

When I try to start the car the starter turns, the cam sprockets spin, but if feels like it starts "too smoothly" like the pistons arent moving or there is no compression.

I have no idea where to start on this, anyone have any ideas?

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
**I am assuming you have a Duratec V6**Get the Autolite APP764, dual platinums, if you can, or Motorcraft equivalent AGSF32PPM. However, if the Boschs fit the heads, the car should at least run. Make sure they are physically interchangeable with the original plugs, and all are seated in the sockets. I had trouble putting an Autolite in my Mystique because a weld blob was interfering with the threads catching in the head. Thread them carefully by hand and seat them. Also check firing order of the new wires and the coil pack has a small plug on it that's easy to forget, causes no start

N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
I checked and double checked the proper order of the wires on the distributor, the one connector you mentioned is there, all plugs threaded fine into the head and were snugged down just enough.

I checked Bosch's website and they did in fact go in this car. So the guys "supposedly" sold me the right plug. They are single tipped platinum though, so were the ones I pulled out.

And yes, it's the duratec.

N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
Also...there was a VERY faint odor of gas under the hood, but I don't know if that's just from disconnecting the injectors, etc. I smelled the fuel slightly when I was putting the injectors back into the LIM, forgot about it, and smelled it some more after I tried starting the car and stuck my head back under the hood again. I couldn't see any leaks though, and am not even sure if I'm just over analyzing and "resmelling" the fuel smell that was already there before.

It almost seems like the starter is spinning too fast, or there is like no resistance. It just doesn't feel the same when I turn the key. It never fires, never sputters, just sits there and cranks over and over.

I primed the lines 3 times like the write up mentioned by turning the key forward and back. I dunno. Stumped and frustrated.

Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
If you didn't soak up the cleaner the engine will be full of it. If it's still in there you will need to hold the throttle wide open to let in tons of air in order to force the excess out of the cylinders. Did you pull a coil wire and check for spark?

Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Did you clean the manifolds while they were off? I had to let mine sit for a day or two till the smell went away. As mentioned the TB cleaner will screw up the car. So if you were spraying the engine you may need to try WOT. Also make sure you have the hose to the IAC on as it will cause the car to stall, but it should at least start then die.

1998 SE Duratec V6 ATX Ebay intake with K&N Filter Trubendz Exhaust Custom Hood
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Did you reconnect the 2 grounds at the coil pack?!

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
No, the intake manifolds definately were NOT the least bit wet when I put them back on. I don't remember removing any grounds from the coil pack, unless one inadvertedly came off during the wire swap. The only thing I removed were the 6 wires and the clip that goes on the front side of the coil pack.

I will pull a plug wire when I am home from work and see if there is a spark. will I be able to tell just by looking down inside the boot that connects to the plug? Those things are pretty deep...

Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Originally posted by ndolsongtp:
No, the intake manifolds definately were NOT the least bit wet when I put them back on. I don't remember removing any grounds from the coil pack, unless one inadvertedly came off during the wire swap. The only thing I removed were the 6 wires and the clip that goes on the front side of the coil pack.

I will pull a plug wire when I am home from work and see if there is a spark. will I be able to tell just by looking down inside the boot that connects to the plug? Those things are pretty deep...

Stick you finger in the tower and have someone turn it over!
Just hold the wire an 1/2 inch from the tower and see if a spark jumps to it.

N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
Actually, I have been shocked by a distributor before when I was working on my 5.0 (whole arm went numb, no joke). It's ok though, it was only 10's of thousands of volts.

So you are saying I should unplug the wire on the coil pack side and see if I can get a spark jumping from the terminal, or I should disconnect it on the spark plug side.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard