Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1461991 12/16/05 01:05 AM
S
Swazo Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
As the title states, Dynomax bullet cats suck! Not even 1000 miles and mine is FUBAR.

I started to have issues with high amounts of load w/ low RPM/MAF counts that just got worse and worse. I let it sit over night and today after work, it was REALLY bad. After letting it idle a bit, I noticed that my whole exhaust system was GLOWING Even my muffler's innards.

Once it cooled to a non-glowing state, I dropped my cat-back and my car was back to normal.... just louder. The POS is getting a gut job tomorrow!

A good test on how well the heat wrap and other forms of heat protection worked! No wiring, hosing melted or the like. Even my radiator (the DP runs along one side of it, and within 1/2-3/4" ) was safe from what happend. My ECT didn't go over 210 the whole time.

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
Metal matrix cats, only way to go.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I made it easy on myself and got rid of cats all together.

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
I
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by gotapex:
Metal matrix cats, only way to go.

or no cats at all

Cougar is no more, parts for sale. Built escape 3.0 w/ 8.5:1 pistons, PnP heads, ovalport/mazda6 cams, SVT manifolds, the works entire car for sale PM me if you want a part!!!
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by Swazo:
As the title states, Dynomax bullet cats suck! Not even 1000 miles and mine is FUBAR.

I started to have issues with high amounts of load w/ low RPM/MAF counts that just got worse and worse. I let it sit over night and today after work, it was REALLY bad. After letting it idle a bit, I noticed that my whole exhaust system was GLOWING Even my muffler's innards.

Once it cooled to a non-glowing state, I dropped my cat-back and my car was back to normal.... just louder. The POS is getting a gut job tomorrow!

A good test on how well the heat wrap and other forms of heat protection worked! No wiring, hosing melted or the like. Even my radiator (the DP runs along one side of it, and within 1/2-3/4" ) was safe from what happend. My ECT didn't go over 210 the whole time.

I don't know what to tell you.. IN almost every case, glowing cats is a product of running too lean at cruise! Maybe at full throttle too. In the old days when air was added into the catalyst chamber to help complete combustion and reduce emisssions. Anyway, in too large of amounts the air would raise the temp of the catalyst and would overheat and crack it.
Too rich leaves them too cool and they clog up with soot.

So when you have glowing pipes and catalyst problems you'd better check your damned air fuel right away with a real O2 sensor like a wideband. Also, carefull you haven't already burned/damaged the O2 sensors. They may not read right after running so hot.
The factory programming has a calibrated heat range that if exceeded will cause the computer to add more fuel and richen the mixture so as to reduce combustion temps and cool down the sensors and or catalysts.
Something isn't right.

BTW
There is no reason NOT to run catalytic converters except environmental irresponsibility, or an all-out race motor that isn't driven except for track days!

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
S
Swazo Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I had a few issues with older o2's (70-7.5K) and bad (2-3 year old, which was flushed and replaced with 91 crapoline ) gas and a funky AFR right off the bat. Once I got the AFR within reason (According to my Innovate LM1) and really started to drive it was within the last few days, which is when I have had this growing issue go from bad to worse.

I installed brand new Denso o2's tonight and will be gutting my cat tomorrow, until I can get a better quality unit that is. With a little open exhaust runs around the neighborhood tonight, everything is within reason.... other than the loudness

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
O
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
O

Ohsigmachi '96 GL MTX Zetec --I don't won't to hurt you, but it's still on my list of things to do.-- View projectSlippery Slope
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Well good luck! I can't wait to see the numbers.

Are you tuning with your Pro Racer package and and innovate wideband?

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:

same here

cats are overrated

~Andrew

2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 20 valves of fury
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by Lebowski316:
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:

same here

cats are overrated

~Andrew

Yeah, and your engine probably is too....

j/k, I'm not going to beat someone up over it because it is your choice. However, I think you should be responsible and use them; if you design it right you won't loose any power. BeyondloadedSE has a race setup so I can understand why he didn't go with them, but if he daily drives it then....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard