Next Thread
Print Thread
#1459873 12/13/05 09:05 PM
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
As of a few days ago my ABS light has been coming on. It does not stay on when you first turn the car on. I know that for the light to come on the car has to be in motion. If i drive my car like a granny the light will not come on... If im in second gear and step on the gas the ABS light comes on exactly at 40mph. I took it to a local repair shop to see if the code could be pulled with the light on. The guy that did it said that he also had a ford with a ABS light on and that he was NOT able to pull his code either... Sure enough he was not able to pull my code. He definetly tried tho!! I was right in the garage with him. Then, he lifted it and we examined the abs sensors (which appeared ok) but internally, Who knows... We also examined the teeth on the axle's. I have an OEM axle on drivers on an aftermarket (mevotech) on the passenger side. We did notice that the OEM axle the teeth sort of resembled a ladder were the notches when inward, and on the aftermarket the notches resembled stairs (were the notches came out instead of in) On my computer at work it says its the COrrect axle. I went to FORD after the local shop and they way $100.00 bucks to perform diagnostics. Should I pay, Or have any of you guys heard of anything like this? I am leaning towards a faulty ABS sensor. Thanks for any Feedback. You guys always help me out!! Merry Christmas and Happy new year all you guys!!!

Last edited by Daves95Contour; 12/13/05 09:09 PM.

Midnight Red 95 Contour SE 5 speed, fully loaded. kkm M.A.F. adapter w/ K&N ru-3530, single Magnaflow muffler w/ no res. 2.25" custom catback exhaust, grafite painted stock 95 SE rims on bfgoodrich touring T/A's, 35% window tint around.
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
IMO, I hate ABS. If the car's stopping fine, and there's nothing wrong with the mechanics of your brake system, then let that stupid light do whatever it wants. Sorry, I know that doesn't help you, but it's what I would do.

~Eric

2000 CSVT Silver Frost: #942 of 2150 HID Projectors and Fog Light Mod, Optomized TB, MSDS headers 2003 Silverstone Z
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
I am debating just saying screw it! I have an appointment tomorrow at ford to scan it for 82.00 bucks. I wonder if i should keep it or not???

Midnight Red 95 Contour SE 5 speed, fully loaded. kkm M.A.F. adapter w/ K&N ru-3530, single Magnaflow muffler w/ no res. 2.25" custom catback exhaust, grafite painted stock 95 SE rims on bfgoodrich touring T/A's, 35% window tint around.
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
I think the mismatched ABS sensor teeth are the problem. Someone else had an issue with that that (I could not find again of course.)

R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
First, check your fluid level.

Second, go back and count the teeth on the ABS tone rings on the two axles. If they have a different # of teeth, you have the wrong axle. If they are the same, check the gap between the abs sensors and the tone rings, if they are too far apart, you can get an intermittant signal.

If none of that helps, then get the ABS codes pulled to check for a potentially faulty sensor.

and epattonm, you are ridiculously ignorant. Just because its too complicated for you to understand doesn't mean ABS is a bad thing.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Rara, MY fluid level is right were it needs to be. WHen i got the car a year ago i noticed that the fluid was very discolored so I have been periodicaly removing old fluid and filling with new Valvoline Synpower. (I am going to do a full brake/clutch flush when spring hits) I read that you do not like this particular fluid but its one of only two brake fluids that the Murray's Auto that i work at carrys. The axle has been on for about Three months with no ABS light! It just started a couple of days ago. I am thinking its a ABS sensor. Could it still have to do with the number of teeth? Why is it doing it now? As opposed to as soon or relativly around the same time I installed the new axle?

E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by Rara:
and epattonm, you are ridiculously ignorant. Just because its too complicated for you to understand doesn't mean ABS is a bad thing.

That was a bit harsh, no? I was just trying to say that if he's already paid a mechanic to check out the system, and he too has been under the car to look, yet nothing mechanically was wrong with it, then why should he spend the time and money tracking down the problem? In other words, it doesn't have to be taken care of immediately in this case, unless the light is annoying.

2000 CSVT Silver Frost: #942 of 2150 HID Projectors and Fog Light Mod, Optomized TB, MSDS headers 2003 Silverstone Z
H
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by Daves95Contour:
Rara, MY fluid level is right were it needs to be. WHen i got the car a year ago i noticed that the fluid was very discolored so I have been periodicaly removing old fluid and filling with new Valvoline Synpower. (I am going to do a full brake/clutch flush when spring hits)

While your intentions are noble, replacing just the fluid in the reservoir is not a good idea. The fluid doesn't circulate like engine or trans oil, so all the dirty bad stuff is still in the lines, calipers, ABS unit, etc (not to mention the possibilty of water being absorbed by the fluid every time you remove the filler cap). You really need to do a complete flush and bleed with new fluid. My $.02 worth

'98 SVT Red/midnight blue - a few mods E0 wheels for sale - PM me
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
i removed my abs sensors up front a long time ago..i noticed no difference..although i dont drive it in the winter were it prob makes a bigger difference???

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever."-Aristophanes. --93 pgt,headers,intake,borla=14.9 1/4mile
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by Rara:
First, check your fluid level.

How do you know he doesn't understand the system? That was really uncalled for.

ABS is just another thing to go wrong in my book as well.

JD

JD a.k.a Fingers "Don't Panic" '98 Contour GL 2.0L VCT ATX 88k '98 Contour LX 2.5L MTX 120k Street racing can kill just less of a chance with a 2.0

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard