Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
I know where I can pick up a 98 VCT 2.0L Zetec Tour - cheap.
The owner says it won't start. It is supposed to have spark.
I'm figuring the timing belt is broken. I haven't seen it yet. If it is just a broken timing belt, is this an interference engine?
I replaced a belt on a 95 Zetec without VCT recently. Is there anything different about replacing a timing belt on a VCT engine?

Danford1

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Im not sure but check the crank shaft position censor. Sometimes if that censor is bad it causes the car not to start.

Post pics if you can!

"Do what you like, Because you have to drive it!"-Me 99 Contour LX 95 Mustang GT Convertible 97 Z24 Cavalier
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by danford1:
... is this an interference engine?...

ZETEC = non-interference engine.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
D
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
OK, this is good info.
Now, is there ANY difference in timing belt change procedures from a non VCT engine to a VCT engine?

Also where is this VCT device located? What does it look like? Is it adjustable? Does it need to be aligned or adjusted in any way when the timing belt is changed?

More info on this car:
The PO says it HAS SPARK which would indicate the crank position sensor is working. He also claims he changed the timing belt. My hunch is he didn't loosen the cam sprockets and get everything lined up correctly. I haven't seen or heard the car try to start yet. I hope I can see it today.
I'll ask if he used a cam alignment bar when he replaced the belt. I hope he didn't . That would be the problem :-)

Please answer the questions in the top 2 paragraphs.

Cheers.

Danford1

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by danford1:
... Also where is this VCT device located? What does it look like? ...

This thread has a picture and location of the VCT. Others will have to answer your other questions.

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=zetecmaint&Number=670094&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard