Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
My brother has a 95 Contour. The starter motor works but seems to turn slow. An oil change and new battery didn't help. The Tour has 192,000 miles and the starter probably is original and just plain worn out. It sounds almost like it is grinding while rotating. Something like a bad bearing sound.
Where is the starter located? I mean do you change it from under the car or from the top. The car isn't here so I can't just open the hood to look.
Is this a PITA to change?
I changed his timing belt recently and don't recall seeing the starter, but then, I wasn't looking for it either.
How much are starters for 2.0L Zetecs? It is an automatic trans car if it matters.

Thanks.
Danford1

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Call up Napa or Autozone and they can give you a quote on the start. You can usually get some cash off the new starter if you give them your old starter (they rebuild them). I believe you get to the start from underneth the car. Good luck.

I changed my starter on my Jeep 1990 Cherokee. It wasnt to bad just dirty hahahah. I havent had to change it on my tour.

"Do what you like, Because you have to drive it!"-Me 99 Contour LX 95 Mustang GT Convertible 97 Z24 Cavalier
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by jtour:
... I believe you get to the start from underneth the car. ...

Yes, for the ZETEC, it is next to the IAC valve and you access it from the bottom. The timing belt is on the passenger side and the starter is on the driver side of the engine (which is why you, Danford1, did not notice it when you changed the timing belt).

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
How-to from 1996 Ford CD.

2.0L Engine

Removal

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.

2. Remove engine intake air resonator.

3. Remove upper starter motor retaining bolt.

4. Raise vehicle on hoist.

5. Remove integral connector retaining nuts from starter solenoid.

6. Remove two lower starter motor retaining bolts and remove starter motor from vehicle.

Installation

1. Note: When installing lower starter motor retaining bolts, be sure to install ground cable.

Position starter motor to transaxle and install lower retaining bolts. Tighten bolts to 20-27 N-m (15-20 lb-ft).

2. Install integral connector onto starter solenoid.

3. Install integral connector retaining nuts. Tighten B-terminal retaining nut to 11-13 N-m (97-115 lb-in). Tighten S-terminal retaining nut to 5-6 N-m (44-53 lb-in).

4. Lower vehicle to floor.

5. Install upper starter motor retaining bolt. Tighten to 20-27 N-m (15-20 lb-ft).

6. Install engine intake air resonator.

7. Connect battery ground cable.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
D
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
Thank you. Seems straight forward and easy enough.
Cheers.
Danford1

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard