Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by ndolsongtp:
As far as gas mileage is concerned, that may be of some interest to us, as she is only getting ~19-20 average with 70% highway driving. I think that's pretty poor for a V6.

Man maybe I should take mine apart and clean it too.I'm only hitting 15 to 17 mpg.Already replaced plugs and filters.

N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
Originally posted by Ray:
Bingo... WHATEVER YOU DO.. DON'T CUT THOSE FUEL LINES!!! you can't simply "splice" or mend them. nor can you buy a replacement.. it is fused to the metal supply lines on the driver's side and is replaced with the rubber hoses.. (all the way to the fuel pump!!!)

Anyway... fuel line disconnect tool.

Been awhile, checking back. I'm going to jump into this project tonight now that I got the parts I needed:

UIM/LIM gaskets (from oreillys for $34..nice)
IMRC linkage grommets (2)
Fuel Rail to Mani seal (6)...(will I need these if I don't remove the fuel rails???)
Beer (12)

By the way, I didn't get the injector o-rings, as I am hoping I don't have to/need to remove the injectors?

I don't know if it's the same, but I figure it probably is since you are referring to the fuel line disconnect tool (J tool), I have always been able to use a small screw driver and press in the tabs on the fuel lines and been able to remove them without the tool. Thats how it is on my grand prix at least.

I'm not doing the full out rebuild that is given in the write up I got from here, just replacing UIM/LIM gaskets and cleaning them as best I can. Time is of importance here, and she just needs the car back ASAP!

Hopefully all goes well and I can finish it this evening. Won't be home from work until ~5:30 and don't want to be up all night doing this!

So I

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Fuel Rail to Mani seal ? That's not for anything on the Contour. Just need the UIM/LIM gaskets. 4 gaskets total. The o-rings should be fine. I've done a ton of cleanings and always reused. No way you're getting the lines disconnected with a screw driver. You're going to need the tool. Either that or pull out the injectors. Doing all this and not cleaning everything is idiotic. You'll get better gas mileage, smoother running engine and better acceleration when passing. I can do a tear down and rebuild in an hour or 2 so with a good cleaning of everything. The time is in cleaning the UIM. Soaking the inside with Berrymans.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
OK, advice noted. What's this Berrymans stuff? Is it just like carb cleaner? I am just anal about reusing seals/gaskets, because if I start it up and something isn't working right, that's just one more thing I have to look at.

Do the fuel lines not have 4 little clips inside the lip on it? Every other fuel line I've ever seen does and I've had no problems.

I read through the write up again, and it doesn't sound too terribly time consuming...but there's always something that happens it seems.

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
The fuel rail locks are a spring - buy the damn $4 tool and stop being a hack!

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
Where at? O'Reilly's only has the "J tool"

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by todras:
Fuel Rail to Mani seal ?

You never answered this but I was just told by Terry that. on early V6's with SIDE FEED injectors you are well advised to change the RED disc seals under the injector where it sits into the LIM. These are prone to harden and cause air leaks over time. You have a 98 though so you don't have this. Just the 4 gaskets.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
What I was referring to was in the write up and the parts section there was (Fuel rail to lower intake manifold seals F5RZ-9P867-A) that were highly recommended to be changed. I must have overlooked that it was for 1995-1997 only.

OK...looks like I can take the parts back. I think I overlooked the (95-97 only) next to the parts write up.

OK...now O'Reilly's is telling me they have what I need for the fuel rails. I check to see if I can still do it by popping the little tabs though.

N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
BTW...could someone explain this berryman's stuff to me? Is it somehow better at removing carbon build up than regular carb cleaner?

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Berrymans is in a pourable can and make normal carb cleaner seem like water.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard