Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
Hey guys...first post here, but I've already browsed this site and found a lot of useful info.

My fiancee's 98 contour has been having a idling problem, and I suspected a vacuum leak since she was also having problems with the brakes. They took it to a shop and told her it was going to be $700 to fix it. 98% of that cost is labor no doubt, they told them something about having to pull the motor to fix it, but I think that's BS.

I'm no expert on Contours, but I am good with a wrench and have done motor swaps and cam installs and everything under the sun with Pontiac Grand Prix GTP's, which are also FWD V6's (not DOHC, but still). If it is possible, and maybe someone on this great site has done a write up on it, I was considering doing it myself to save her the money, because we don't have alot saving for a wedding and all. And I was almost SURE I've seen a write up on here when I was searching for other info on her car here.

So what do you think guys, is it possible? Is there a GOOD write up out there? I don't doubt my mechanical skills, but I don't want to get into somethign way over my head either with no guide to go by.

Thanks alot!

Neal

Q
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Q
Originally posted by ndolsongtp:
Hey guys...first post here, but I've already browsed this site and found a lot of useful info.

My fiancee's 98 contour has been having a idling problem, and I suspected a vacuum leak since she was also having problems with the brakes. They took it to a shop and told her it was going to be $700 to fix it. 98% of that cost is labor no doubt, they told them something about having to pull the motor to fix it, but I think that's BS.

I'm no expert on Contours, but I am good with a wrench and have done motor swaps and cam installs and everything under the sun with Pontiac Grand Prix GTP's, which are also FWD V6's (not DOHC, but still). If it is possible, and maybe someone on this great site has done a write up on it, I was considering doing it myself to save her the money, because we don't have alot saving for a wedding and all. And I was almost SURE I've seen a write up on here when I was searching for other info on her car here.

So what do you think guys, is it possible? Is there a GOOD write up out there? I don't doubt my mechanical skills, but I don't want to get into somethign way over my head either with no guide to go by.

Thanks alot!

Neal

Click the link That's the link for tearing down and rebuilding the UIM/LIM for cleaning. Although her idling problem could be many things, i would also check the Idle air control valve. Most of the info you are looking for is stickied at the top of this forum.

#3162 of 6535 98 SVT Silver frost Viper Responder 791 w/ 2way remote start Let the modding begin!
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
Actually, the IAC was the very first thing I replaced. I've had them go bad on many of my cars before with identical symptoms. The problems with the brakes not working/being very hard to use existed before the IAC replacement, and I thought maybe that was due to the engine idling so low, bogging down, even dying, it wasn't getting sufficient vacuum pressure. When the brake problem still existed after I replaced the IAC, and so did the other problems, I was 99% sure it had to be a vacuum leak.

N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
I just got a quote from the mechanic I always use at ~$435-450 to do both UIM and LIM gaskets. Better than 700 but still.

Bite the bullet and do it myself and save my woman $350+?

Q
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Q
Originally posted by ndolsongtp:
I just got a quote from the mechanic I always use at ~$435-450 to do both UIM and LIM gaskets. Better than 700 but still.

Bite the bullet and do it myself and save my woman $350+?

Dude you have swapped engines!! tearing down the UIM/LIM is cake! I can do it in a 15 minutes, i say go for it! Hell i tore mine down 3 weeks ago to replace my plugs it's much easier to get to the plugs with the UIM off. I also found that the little white grommet that holds the lever in place that pulls the secondart shaft open was MIA While you have it all torn down you might as well give it a good cleaning as per those instructions! also a good time to replace misc gaskets and the EGR valve.

#3162 of 6535 98 SVT Silver frost Viper Responder 791 w/ 2way remote start Let the modding begin!
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
See, this is the kind of information I'm looking for. I feel if I have a good write up I'm good to go. If it's really not as major as it looks, then I'm game. I just look at that engine crammed in that tiny engine bay and I say "uhhh...yeah". I got used to my GTP's pushrod supercharged V6 motor in a nice big engine bay I guess.

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Bah. You work on one you can do them all for the most part.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
Any specialized tools I might need? I have the typical socket site, ratcheting wrenches, screw drivers, extensions, and a torque wrench...that it? Any tricks of the trade tools to make this easier?

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
For intake manifold removal and replacement, no, you've got more than I think I had when I did mine. If you're intending to do the big cleaning job on it, then you'll need supplies and a place to make a mess, but to pop it off and on, it's no biggie.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
yeah, I'm not going to do too much cleaning. I do have some carb cleaner, and if I decide to, I'll use that to remove the carbon build up.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard