Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Ditto last post...

Had my car inspected last feb/march, the shop rotated back tires to front. Well the fronts were almost shot and the rears were nice.

So now I had good tires up front and [censored] in the back. Went around a right hand turn doing 35 and the ass just let loose and almost took me and the car because I didn't expect it. It wasn't till after that I realized they put the crappy tires on the back.

1998 SE Duratec V6 ATX Ebay intake with K&N Filter Trubendz Exhaust Custom Hood
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
obviously dont have 2 bald tires and 2 new tires. if you have to buy only 2 snow tires i would probably put them on the front assuming u have allseasons with lots of tread in the back. now if u have hipo tires please dont think having snow tires in the front and hipo's in the back is a good idea. i cant stand seeing these hondas with steelies in the front and their 18s in the back with rubberbands. the winter's gonna eat up the wheels to start, wear out the summer tires and wont match the front tires stored away (rotation is gonna be thrown off), and summer tires simply arent made to handle temps below like 40F. different rubber compound and all. you might as well have comletely bald tires in the rear on those 18s. buy 4 snow tires. if all u do is drive straight then put the 2 snows in the back. if u have to turn onto a hill like my street your gonna want snow tires on the front wheels and very slow gas in 2nd to creep onto my street and make the turn. get the 4 snow tires.

and if u have gc's, raise them. thats the advantage of them and get it realigned. i do it before and after winter.

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Look at the article SAV posted - 55mph wet skidpad?? If anyone is taking corners at 55 MPH in heavy rain or snow your asking for trouble no matter what tires your running.

If your going to run 2 snow tires you should put them on the front. Why? B/C the front tires need traction for accelleration AND braking. Which is more important, being able to stop quickly or taking corners at 55 in the snow? The spinout problem can be solved by taking corners slower.

S
SAV Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by akrump47:
Look at the article SAV posted - 55mph wet skidpad?? If anyone is taking corners at 55 MPH in heavy rain or snow your asking for trouble no matter what tires your running.

Because when you travel on the interstate, it's a perfectly straight line and you only do 40 mph, right?

BTW, great job comparing snow tires and non-snow tires in the article, and then making a judgment based on a comparison that nobody else was talking about. The fact of the matter is that you don't need to be going 55 mph for the rear end to break loose if your tires are bad enough. I was only doing 30 in my instance and the rear still snapped out on me.

Geez.

-SAV

Troll. 1997 VW Jetta MkIII GLS 5spd All hail my appearance on CEG!
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
OK point taken about non-snow tires in the article. But I stand behind my comment about having 2 snow tires in the front if your going to only have 2 of them. And adjust your driving habits accordingly.

R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R

If your going to run 2 snow tires you should put them on the front. Why? B/C the front tires need traction for accelleration AND braking. Which is more important, being able to stop quickly or taking corners at 55 in the snow? The spinout problem can be solved by taking corners slower.

You should always run 4 tires of the same type. Running snow tires only in the front makes a car dangerously prone to snap oversteer in snow or icy conditions. Even at very low speeds.

akrump, it doesn't mention the size of the skidpad. Making assumptions about how tight the "corner" in that case is ignorant at best. Either way, it demonstrates how dangerous a car can be if it has more grip in the front than rear.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
I put my factory 16's back on with those new Nitto NT SN1 snow tires and wow I couldn't have been more please for the $359 I spent on them. I had to drive the first day of winter on my 17's with 215/45's not pretty. Definately get a set of winter tires if you are driving an SVT in the winter or any car for that matter.

-Mike 98 Contour SVT Toreador Red #49 of 6535 Built on 3/25/97 WR Headers, Borla Cat-Back, Torsen T2 LSD, K&N Short Ram, S-AFC and Focus Shift Tower 85 Camaro 1969 358ci, 97 TA interior, 91 Z28 GrdEfx and Aero Wing 255rwhp
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Rara I agree 100%, and I have experienced the snap oversteer from bad rear tires before. My point is that - if for whatever reason youre forced to run only 2 snow tires, like I was last weekend for a short time, they need to go on the front otherwise the car will barely be able to acellerate or stop at all in any kind of snow or ice.

R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Rara I agree 100%, and I have experienced the snap oversteer from bad rear tires before. My point is that - if for whatever reason youre forced to run only 2 snow tires, like I was last weekend for a short time, they need to go on the front otherwise the car will barely be able to acellerate or stop at all in any kind of snow or ice.

If they are on the rear, you may have difficulty accelerating, but at least you will be able to consistantly control the car. Either way, putting only half a set of snows on is a bad idea.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
i have 4 new snow tires on my lx, and its incredible compared to the 16" stock focus tires that were on my focus last winter, that thing wouldnt go anywhere, now with these new tires on the contour i park in my front yard when there is no room, i live in erie, pa, we get plenty of snow

99 Contour LX MTX, Cone Air Filter, Custom Grille 95 Neon ATX Intake, Ractive Muffler, Green Painted valve cover, fuel rail, and intake, b/w painted interior, white exterior trim, shaded tail lights
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard