B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
you can't screw with todras man...

Don't you know todd spelled backwards is

GOD!!

Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:
Can u ask him to measure his shaft and compare it to your shaft?

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
I drove my SVT a few days ago when there was 6-7" of fresh snow on the road. The Falkiens slipped quite a lot but they behaved decent for a pseudo all weather tire. I definitely was plowing though.

I'm sure the 3L, hyper throttle response, and manual transmission don't help there.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Originally posted by lizard:
todd you are soo wrong on that one u need to remember a SVT has traction control and ABS SE's don't. and i have heard goodyear aquatread's are good snow tires. so i have to say my contour sucks in the snow.i hit the gas my tires spin, i hit the brakes my car slides. the only way my car does good in the snow is if you go 30 MPH and remember to be patient.

All first generation SE's (the real SE's) came with traction control standard - not so with the SVT's.

And I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that Goodyear Aquatreads are not snow tires. What tires do you run the rest of the year.

Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Originally posted by BlackBirdRacing:
Originally posted by spdsk8r:
I have Blizzak's on mine. It is almost as good in the snow as our Jeep Liberty LTD.

think I could get away with just two front blizzaks?
And some steelies outta the junk yard?

NO NO NO! A thousand times no. Unless your driving would be limited to drving up perfectly straight snow-covered hills, it'd be safer if you had no snow tires at all.

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Yeah, yesterday I got to drive on 6" of fresh snow. I hated the contour on my all seasons, an absolute nightmare to drive in during any snow storm. However, this year I got this Blizzaks, and oh man, what a difference.

Do yourself a favor and buy a decent snow tire, hell get them used if they have okay tread life. There's a ton of ads here for used snow tires, and get some steelies from a junkyard. It's a total different ball game w/snow tires.

99 Black Contour SE Sport
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by 96RedSE5Sp:
Originally posted by BlackBirdRacing:
Originally posted by spdsk8r:
I have Blizzak's on mine. It is almost as good in the snow as our Jeep Liberty LTD.

think I could get away with just two front blizzaks?
And some steelies outta the junk yard?

NO NO NO! A thousand times no. Unless your driving would be limited to drving up perfectly straight snow-covered hills, it'd be safer if you had no snow tires at all.

I had been driving a car in the winter with snow tires only on the front. it was the best driving car in the snow i have ever driven. not unpredictable at all.that honestly sounds like something the tire companies make up to get you to buy 4. if you live in an area with alot of hills and only have 2 snow tires like i do, then put them on the front.

~Ryan 1999 T-Red SVT Contour 41k Miles #1701 / 2760 B&M, Custom Y-Pipe, Alpine HU, Pioneer 6x8's & 6x9's
R
R_G Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by todras:
If you state a Contour sucks in the snow you don't have adequate tires. I'm guessing all seasons. Any FWD car with good tires does a great job in the snow.

Exactly. How can one say this or that car suxxx in the snow, when the main factors are tires and having an MTX vs ATX plus some basic winter driving knowledge/experience?

Beats me... it's like to say, "I got pulled over by cops for speeding while driving a Contour; thus Contour suxxxx"

Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Originally posted by guitarman19853:
I had been driving a car in the winter with snow tires only on the front. it was the best driving car in the snow i have ever driven. not unpredictable at all.that honestly sounds like something the tire companies make up to get you to buy 4. if you live in an area with alot of hills and only have 2 snow tires like i do, then put them on the front.

Thats like claiming that Russian Roulette is safe because you didn't get your head blown off. Its extremely dangerous to drive any FWD car that has substantially more traction on the front tires. You're just asking for trouble.

G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by guitarman19853:

Thats like claiming that Russian Roulette is safe because you didn't get your head blown off. Its extremely dangerous to drive any FWD car that has substantially more traction on the front tires. You're just asking for trouble.

if you know the limits of the rear tires then thats what matters... in my area its more important to be able to get up hills than have cornering grip... its a trade off between getting stuck on a hill and having to take corners slower and more carefully.

I regularly (every other week at least) drove back and forth to school at 30-35 mph on windy completely snow covered roads (they dont do a good job on cleaning roads in the middle of nowhere) and i must say that the car had the ability to handle well enough that i was going faster than all of the cars that i would get stuck behind

If you're spinning in a car with snow tires in the front, then you are going too fast.

~Ryan 1999 T-Red SVT Contour 41k Miles #1701 / 2760 B&M, Custom Y-Pipe, Alpine HU, Pioneer 6x8's & 6x9's
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E

All first generation SE's (the real SE's) came with traction control standard - not so with the SVT's.

Not true, Traction Control was an option. I didn't order it on my 96 SE.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard