Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Check this link out. I've had my S40 for about 6 months, I've thought of doing some build up on it but this is insane.

This is called the Heico "Odin" after the Norse god.
Link

Last edited by warmonger; 12/07/05 02:38 PM.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Dunno about the flat paint but wow is the car beautiful.

Weight has been dropped to 2,756 lbs., allowing the car to hit 0-62 mph in 5.5 seconds.

You'd think it would be quicker with that much power & light weight?

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
I dunno, the flat paint kinda looks cool. AND you won't ever have to polish it.

I've been trying to determine the suitability of modifying my S40 as a replacement fun/project car for the SVT.
I knew when I bought it that it might come to this so I searched far and wide for a replacement for the SVT that was already a turbo with all wheel drive.
Aside from Subaru and Mitsu, The Volvo S40 was the only thing with good styling that met these criteria.

Let me tell you, even without the dynamic trip package with upgraded struts, this car handles really well. The AWD package just takes it to a new level conisdering the tires are michelins and far from the level of tire that came on the SVT when new. In the wet weather this car is just so secure to drive and in dry weather you can really toss it around; hell, you can toss it around in wet weather too but I'm exploring that slowly.

The engine is good and overall its fun to drive. However, the turbo is the K04 from borg warner. This turbo is asthmatic however for an engine that is 2.5L.
It feels really good but by 5000 rpm the fun is all over. Of course it spools instantly and the car can launch really fricking hard!

If you want to see how pathetic it really is, take a look at this months sport compact car and see their first crack at modifying it.
THey cranked the boost to 14psi and did a slight remap of the ecu. THey also threw on a muffler. What a waste of money. $2K dollars and they netted like 10hp.
If you look at the dyno graph they show gains only in the low end where the turbo can still produce more airflow than the engine demand requires.
This car really doesn't need anything other than a resized turbo and ECU/injector upgrade to take advantage of it. Then a reduced restriction intake/exhaust on top of it and this car will be seeing the equivalent of 300-400hp.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Not digging the interior. We shall call the exterior "stubby".

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by warmonger:
I dunno, the flat paint kinda looks cool. AND you won't ever have to polish it.

I've been trying to determine the suitability of modifying my S40 as a replacement fun/project car for the SVT.
I knew when I bought it that it might come to this so I searched far and wide for a replacement for the SVT that was already a turbo with all wheel drive.
Aside from Subaru and Mitsu, The Volvo S40 was the only thing with good styling that met these criteria.

Let me tell you, even without the dynamic trip package with upgraded struts, this car handles really well. The AWD package just takes it to a new level conisdering the tires are michelins and far from the level of tire that came on the SVT when new. In the wet weather this car is just so secure to drive and in dry weather you can really toss it around; hell, you can toss it around in wet weather too but I'm exploring that slowly.

The engine is good and overall its fun to drive. However, the turbo is the K04 from borg warner. This turbo is asthmatic however for an engine that is 2.5L.
It feels really good but by 5000 rpm the fun is all over. Of course it spools instantly and the car can launch really fricking hard!

If you want to see how pathetic it really is, take a look at this months sport compact car and see their first crack at modifying it.
THey cranked the boost to 14psi and did a slight remap of the ecu. THey also threw on a muffler. What a waste of money. $2K dollars and they netted like 10hp.
If you look at the dyno graph they show gains only in the low end where the turbo can still produce more airflow than the engine demand requires.
This car really doesn't need anything other than a resized turbo and ECU/injector upgrade to take advantage of it. Then a reduced restriction intake/exhaust on top of it and this car will be seeing the equivalent of 300-400hp.

I saw that tech write up TOm and was thingking "WHY?!" IT made nothing up top. Bigger snail, injectors, tune and a FULL exhaust instead of the simple rear muffler swap, is what they needed to do!

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I like it better before the graphics were added to the exterior. But the semi-gloss look is pretty damn sweet/utilitarian IMO! The dash/center console look like it was a last minute decision that didn't get much thought put into it

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Stazi:
Originally posted by warmonger:
S40 has tiny turbo

Why did SCC mod it with tiny turbo?

Paraphrased Quotes

Same thing with my WRX right now. I'm running around 20-21psi of boost in the lower RPM ranges.. Redline boost = 12 psi

But it certainly drives a lot different... so much more power and tq down low.

04 Subaru WRX "Eurosport bling bling fast and furious tokyo drift" "They have diarrhea of the mouth, and constipation of thought"
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Yeah, I know how you feel!
Once you crank the boost the turbo becomes more and more inefficient and starts to make less power and more heat.

But I have to give it to them, this thing has good low end torque, cruises well on the highway and gets excellent fuel economy.
I've played with the turbo maps and I think ditching this turbo and going with the GT28rs or even the GT32 for bigger power and decent spool up is the way to go.

By my calculations, leaving the boost alone and just replacing the turbo with the 28rs/32 and allowing the engine to breath all the way up to the 6600 rpm redline will net almost 300 HP at the crank!
At the same boost pressure mind you. Now, remap that ecu and raise the boost to 14-15psi and you're talking significantly more. The larger turbo would take the hump out of the low end, will be more efficient, and broaden the torque curve.

This is also why I was laughing at the Audi S4. That thing used twin K03 turbos, that are both smaller than the K04 and combined push only a little bit more air.

I see why they did it, strong torquey low-end and great fuel economy.

E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
when in doubt, cover everything in the interior with some form of fabric!

good use of molding in the tv remote to the console.

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard