Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Alright...so i found something interesting...

After my car died, i had it tucked away in the garage, and since i had all of these fog lamps issues, i figured i'd pull the fog lamp fuse just in case there was some sort of drain or whatever...so which fuse did i pull?...well look at this...

It says to pull fuse 5 right? And that's a pdf copy of the owners manual that i got from fords site...but my actual paper one that came with the car says the same thing.

So ever since the car died, the fuse from spot 5 has been pulled.

Now fast forward to tonight...i'm searching through posts to see what info i can find, i log onto autozone's repair manual thing to see if i can find info...and i'm looking through the service cd at the same time to see what i can find out...and i notice something...

See where it has fuse 5 at the top there (says F5)... 15 amps at the battery junction box...trace the wire down...see connector 1885a...that's the 3 wire connector on the alternator!

So anyway...i plugged a fuse into spot 5 fired the b!tch up and sure enough...voltage at 14.4X

I'm so happy...the fog lamps still dont work, but i can deal with that later i guess ...as long as the car is driveable, that's good progress.

Thanks to all the guys that gave me a shove in the right direction!

1998 Mystique LS: -2.5 Duratec ATX -Vibrant White -------------------- =Pics= =Info=
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
You really found something there! Fuse 5 killed the input to the voltage regulator. It will be easy to fix your foglamps after that revelation! I find that Ford CD hard to use, I am going to look at my "paper" manual fuse 5 circuit now...

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Pretty much found the cause of the fog lamp issue. I tore apart the panel that had the light switch and mirror adjuster in it and started to examine all the connectors...

I found that the connector that connects to the light switch had a single female wire connector that looked like a wire had snapped off from the back... then poking around further i saw a stray wire that looked like the end of it had been broken off....did some searching through the schematics on the service cd and found that it is the wire for the fog lamps...

My guess is that since i have the driver side glove box in my mystique, every time it opens and closes it rubs on those wires... and over time it must have just failed from repeated loading like that....further i'm guessing that the whole reason that it is rubbing is because there is a bunch of spliced wires hooked up to that connector with everything joined by crimp connectors...i really dont think the car was ever in an accident, so i'm guessing it's some type of warranty or recall repair...and as a result of the splicing and joining...there's a ton of extra wiring and other crap that takes up space there now...which means when the glove box opens and closes every time it's fighting for space...

I gotta clean up those wires and make sure everythig is secure, and hopefully that will be the end of my fog lamp issues...

1998 Mystique LS: -2.5 Duratec ATX -Vibrant White -------------------- =Pics= =Info=
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Sounds like a good plan, fixing others work. I do that a lot! I checked the schematic, the fuse 5 does feed the regulator and fogs, different than my 95 diagrams..

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by FavoriteMystaque:
I checked the schematic, the fuse 5 does feed the regulator and fogs, different than my 95 diagrams..

Ya, it seems very odd to me...i looked at the fog lamp schematic, and unless the schematic is wrong or i read it wrong, it seems like fuse 5 feeds the power to the fog relay, then when the relay closes, power from fuse 5 is routed to the fogs....there were no other fuses in that path....so that means if one of your fogs happens to short out for whatever reason, all of a sudden your alternator won't charge the battey? ...I didn't think they'd do it that way.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
I thought it was odd too.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard