Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
OP Offline
M
Thank you for reading my post. Anyone have any troubleshooting tips for me please on this one...My vehicle starts and runs as normal, so I go to shut it off, take the key out, and it stays running. My door illumination lights will not turn off, and all of my electronics work, (wipers, windows) also if I dont turn off the ac/heat panel switch to off, the heat will stay running, i turn it to off now. if I dont take the positive cable off, my battery will die overnight. My radio does not work as normal when the key is out so I know that part of the electrical is OK. My dash board turns off like normal, as well. Anyone out there, have any ideas?

Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
take it to a dealer,thats my tip,it's gotta be ignition related.....sounds like a open circuit

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever."-Aristophanes. --93 pgt,headers,intake,borla=14.9 1/4mile
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
o no its definitaly not an open circut that would cut power , its a short to ground or something along those lines not an open circut

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Does the engine actually stop? It must, if your battery dies. The heater blower stays on, and the interior lights. You need the electrical schematics. [image][/image]

[image][/image]

I would guess the the key switch in the steering column is bad. Is there a remote starter or alarm in the car?

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by btrautman:
Try this simple test. Remove your steering column shroud. On the back of the ignition switch there is the electrical connector. You press the tab on one side and it clips out. Start the car and after you shut if off, just unplug the switch. If the car stops, you need a new switch...
Bob

Originally posted by tour96se:
..it's gotta be ignition related.....

My guess too. Try this thread for help.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=genmods&Number=1034269&Forum=genmods&Words=ignition&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=3months&Main=1034190&Search=true#Post1034269

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
M
OP Offline
M
oh man thank you. this is great, I certainly couldnt get this kind of help anywhere else. I am definately going to try the ignition switch removal first thing tommorow. Yes I DID have a compustar remote start but since this happened I removed it hopefully thinking removing it would solve my problems.....it didnt. I went to the Install Bay where I had the alarm installed, for a person to look at the wiring and all, to maybe eliminate a cross wire, but he said everything was fine. Said he metered the crucial ignition wires, he said he got normal numbers. Mentioned take it to the dealership in the end. Do you think the remote starter had a role in something? I kinda still do, but its now removed and sitting on my seat instead of being useful, I hope I can plug it in when i figure this out. This Transponder Key is killing me. He said he has a good bypass when (if) I get it fixed. I had the alarm hooked up to one button close for my sunroof and one button windows up. I heard this whine when i took my key out. then it would stop. when I kinda banged the dash a wee bit, it would come back. since then, no more whine anymore. My engine keeps running till I put it in gear, and horribly let the clutch out. sigh

M
OP Offline
M
Well, I tried taking the ignition switch harness off when I had my key out and turned to off, and it stayed running. I would like to take the bottom panel off and start digging but I am not sure where to start.

M
OP Offline
M
Could a blown relay be causing my car to not shut off?.....also, if my radio shuts off like normal when i turn the key to off, could that mean the ignition switch is still operational?

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Does the key operate the radio with the plug pulled?

A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
I had the same problem with my tour a few months ago. I have the 4 banger Se model. I bought a new ignition switch from ford ($90) and replaced it. I think it fixed it. I havent had the problem since.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard