Next Thread
Print Thread
#1449884 12/01/05 07:18 PM
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
I just replaced the 9 inch drum, figuring it was the cause of a scuffing/bump-bump sound in the right rear while stopping. Shoes looked fine. All was well initially, problem came back on long drive . I am going to replace the shoes next. Anyone solve this problem (without putting on discs ? Bearings seem OK, only is noise under braking 25 mph.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I would be more concerned about the shoes. The shoes should be wearing evenly. If they have not worn much yet, they should show that they have been contacting the center of the shoe. If the wear pattern shows that the ends and/or sides are contacting but not the center, you need to correct the fit so that the contact starts in the middle and as they wear the contact point grows toward the outside.

If that is the case, let me know, and I'll help you understand how to correct it.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
I am getting new shoes, how should I prep them? I also want to see if the wheel cylinder pushes evenly. Probably on the next day it's above 30...

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Lay the new shoes into the drum like they would be if installed. Hold them up to the drum friction surface. Confirm that shoe slightly rocks in the drum, that is that when the center of the shoe is touching that the ends don't quite touch.

If the ends touch and the center doesn't, you will have problems. The shoes need to be arced to better match the drum.

There is a trick to doing this if you don't have access to a brake shoe arcing machine. You can slightly bend the shoe. Place the bottom of the shoe on a solid surface (concrete floor), take a hammer and hit the top of the shoe a time or two to reduce the arc. Don't hit too hard, it doesn't take much. Do a trial fit in the drum again and repeat if needed.

It may also help to champher the ends if it doesn't already have it done. Use a file or a sanding disc.

Make sure that you lube the contact points on the backing plates.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Thanks, I will do that, I just got the shoes today. I'm hoping to avoid the hammer, I use that on the Dodge Lancer . That makes sense, the shoes will wear in better (sooner) if they touch in the middle.

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard